Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My budget is about $1000. I will probably gig on the horn at some point, though not immediately. Currently looking at a Conn Pan American Super 60M versus a YTS 23. Thoughts?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
What Alto do you play?

I know its not the most original suggestion, but there is a reason why most of these threads (and there are many) basically say, "Buy a used Yamaha student horn".

They are pretty consistent, the ergonomics are OK, they are reliable and they sound OK, they are relatively cheap and plentiful to buy, and if it turns out that either Tenor isnt for you, or you blossom as a player and want to upgrade, you will have no problem selling it on and recouping most if not all of what you spent on it.

Also, with whats left of your budget you can spend a moderate amount on finding the right mouthpiece. Some great players out there will be gigging on YTS 23s and the like.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What Alto do you play?

I know its not the most original suggestion, but there is a reason why most of these threads (and there are many) basically say, "Buy a used Yamaha student horn".

They are pretty consistent, the ergonomics are OK, they are reliable and they sound OK, they are relatively cheap and plentiful to buy, and if it turns out that either Tenor isnt for you, or you blossom as a player and want to upgrade, you will have no problem selling it on and recouping most if not all of what you spent on it.

Also, with whats left of your budget you can spend a moderate amount on finding the right mouthpiece. Some great players out there will be gigging on YTS 23s and the like.
I play an RS Berkeley Virtuoso. Good point about the mouthpiece. Will look around.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Whatever tenor you choose please remember that the shape inside your oral cavity that works well on alto is probably not going to give good results on tenor. Remember to take a bit more mouthpiece in the mouth and practice playing G concert on the mouthpiece alone as long tones. It will you help make the transition.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,208 Posts
I like my Pan Am tenor a lotlotlot. By the way, that Bundy is a PA stencil, not a Conn stencil. Run a search on that and read up if you are interested.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Can anyone comment on a decent price for a used YT23?
500-800 USD give or take. Depending on condition and age. You might find one cheaper thats in decent shape if you are patient and / or lucky, and ones in like new condition will sell for more than that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts