Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After rooting around in my inactive mouthpiece drawer, I discovered that one of my older Links is appreciably longer in every proportion, which adds up to nearly 3/8's inch. No wonder I could never get that piece in tune. Strange that it took me so long to notice. But I haven't used it in years... Anybody ever seen or heard of this?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have one of those as well, a 9 or 9*. They may have the same interior (never compared them) but mine plays nothing like the modern links. It is much darker. I never noticed the intonation being off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The intonation is off only because I can't get the piece far enough on the neck (without taking the cork way down.) I don't want to do that, since the mouthpieces I play fit fine now and I don't want to do the paper-over-the-cork trick. I have a new sax since I last played this piece. The long Link sounds fine (though, on my new horn, because of the fit, flat.) And, I agree, it sounds dark. There is more brass; the body is thicker than the other (older) piece in the pics. Apparently it fit OK on my old horn. Just struck me as a curiosity when I recently came across it again. But thanks for your comments. I had no idea that the configuration of Links changed in the 80's. The long link is an 8*, the shorter one in the pic is a nice 5* I bought back in the 60's. Yup, I'm old. My new Links-- a 7* and a NY 7* share the proportions of the 60's piece.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reine:
I've only touched down at Shipohl, but flying in and out of your country, it looks perfectly in tune to me!

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts