Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am completely new to using software in my practice. When you want to

• practice to tracks made by yourself and others and being able to adjust tempo and key

• record yourself playing sax together with a prerecorded song

What could be the best choice of the alternatives Logic and Band-in-a-Box?

What could be said about differences in purpose and maybe more about these products?

I would be very grateful for help on getting an understanding of how to think when choosing the right product. I'm a bit confused at this time.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
I personally don't know about Logic, so I really can't compare the two, but Band-in-a-Box is a great choice, if you purchase it with the Real Tracks option, which is very, very realistic. It's what I use all the time, anyway, and it's a great way to keep you motivated too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
I don't know if you can do recording with Band In A Box. I would say, using the MIDI functions in Logic, you can spend a few years learning to get about 70% of the realism you're after programming everything yourself with the included synths and samplers (though this is far from ideal for jazz!), or use Band In A Box to get about 50% of the way to a realistic band sound in the time it takes to install the program. For tracks to practice along with, I'd go with BIAB if it records audio. For extensive MIDI track production, audio recording and production that is among the top in the industry, then Logic is the clear choice of the two you mentioned. To me it's a no-brainer!

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
Logic is for multi-track recording and production. It's very in-depth and full featured. I have it but now rarely use it because I prefer Garage Band's simpler interface. Logic is likely much more than you'll need.

BIAB is accompaniment software. It's designed for you to create backing tracks to practice with. You can also do some basic composing with it.

Both Garage Band or Logic and BIAB used together can create very good quality recordings and practice tracks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
BIAB is accompaniment software. It's designed for you to create backing tracks to practice with. You can also do some basic composing with it
Wow, this is SO wrong! I have been using Band In A Box for years and still have not even scratched the surface of what this program can do. It's an amazing program. For the person that asked about it's recording capabilities every tune I've done (and there's been many) has been with the BIAB program recording my sax. Just choose the Audio tab, record audio. Then I mix the sax track with the BIAB backing track I blew over in Cool Edit Pro. So yes Band In A Box most certainly can handle the recording duties as well as the backing track and do so much more. But if you'd rather not take my word for it go to the PG Music website and read up on what it can do for yourself.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought logic thinking it would be a souped-up version of Garage Band, but it's a totally different program that will require hours and hours of learning. It's doubtful I'll ever spend the time. I would not recommend Logic to anyone but a serious, pro-level recording engineer (or someone aspiring to be one) who has at least 6 months of free time to tinker with it.

Band in a Box is my the only program I recommend to my students for learning tunes. It's very intuitive and VERY easy to use. Sometimes the background tracks can sound "square" but if you mute the drums and some of the other instruments, it can sound good.

BIAB beats out Logic for working on tunes hands down.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
Wow, this is SO wrong! I have been using Band In A Box for years and still have not even scratched the surface of what this program can do. It's an amazing program. For the person that asked about it's recording capabilities every tune I've done (and there's been many) has been with the BIAB program recording my sax. Just choose the Audio tab, record audio. Then I mix the sax track with the BIAB backing track I blew over in Cool Edit Pro. So yes Band In A Box most certainly can handle the recording duties as well as the backing track and do so much more. But if you'd rather not take my word for it go to the PG Music website and read up on what it can do for yourself.
Wrong? No... Over simplified explanation, yes. Sure you can record audio with BIAB. But, it's not primary designed for multi-track production like Logic is. At the same time, Logic cannot create auto accompaniment tracks. So, they both have strengths and weaknesses..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, I'm sooo grateful for these insightful advices and explanations on what the software products actually are, and how you could use them. Even combined - interesting. And I suppose that Garage Band is kind of "Logic light".

Today I have the pieces in place, as opposed to my confusion yesterday. Thanks guys! :treble:

·
Registered
178 Posts
+1 for Biab but I notice no mentioned the fact that BiaB ships with its own DAW Realband for free, which is a very good piece of software in its own right..

Tom
+2 on BIAB

If you are looking for quick and are more concerned with getting better on your sax, go with BIAB. If you are more into recording, they I would think that Garage Band is the way to go.

Ron M

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
8,939 Posts
I write aftermarket styles for BiaB and have been doing this since the early 1990s - see http://www.nortonmusic.com/styledemo.html for mp3 samples.

I use Band-in-a-Box for a lot of things, but I also use Master Tracks Pro (like Logic, a sequencer) for a lot of other things

The two tools are very different indeed.

Band-in-a-Box will generate backing tracks by simply typing in the chords. The output is very good but by design generic. You can enter the chords to almost any song, change the key and/or speed, change the arrangement, etc. But IMHO you cannot use it for on-stage work (although some do).

A sequencer allows you to manually control every note so you can get a more refined output that can be less generic - but it requires more work.

I use both Band-in-a-Box and Master Tracks Pro together, relying on the strong suits of each and in the end the musical output is better and the work load is less. I wrote a web page on how I use BiaB/MTpro to make backing tracks for my duo and how I use those tracks on stage. See http://www.nortonmusic.com/backing_tracks.html for details

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

1 - 12 of 12 Posts