Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Trombonist, composer, and arranger Slide Hampton died at 89 on November 20. So far there doesn't seem to be much in the way of media reports.
“Slide” spent some good time teaching and inspiring many Jazz students at the Canadian Banf Centre of Art.
RIP Mr. Hampton.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,304 Posts
My first Dex album, strange enough, was this one. Slide’s arrangements are cool, pretty unconventional.
Slide and Rest In Peace.

Reactions: ufosax

·
Registered
51 Posts
My first Dex album
Similar story here. After the "'Round Midnight" movie had come out I asked around for more Dexter and someone lent me that record to copy on tape. I still remember that the liner notes made a big deal of Slide Hampton's arrangements. In fact, that was the first time I came across his name. Only years later I realized that quote at the beginning of Dexter's solo is "Slow Boat to China", which has a similar chord progression as "Fried Bananas" (and "It Could Happen To You"). I haven't listened to this in years since it's so different to Dexter's other stuff. It sounds so fresh after more than 40 years.

Makes me wonder why Slides's arranging work was not documented on more high caliber records. Or maybe I'm just not aware of them. Someone suggested to me that the Maynard Ferguson Band's version of "Stella by Starlight" was Slide's work:

Is that accurate?

Any other outstanding examples of Slide's arranging work?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,304 Posts
Wiki confirms the story about MF’s Stella.

Unfortunately, our whole CD collection is in cardboard boxes, as we only listen to files, so I haven’t easy access to the booklets anymore. SH’s work might be hiding in many other sessions.

I suspect he did some arrangements for his fellow JJ Johnson. It might be worth checking JJ’s big band albums.

Reactions: ufosax

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wikipedia lists dozens of albums as leader and other dozens as arranger.

Interesting obit below. He and his eleven siblings had a family band whose first "proper" performance was opening for Lionel Hampton at Carnegie Hall. Trumpeter Pharez Whitted is a nephew.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Oh my god, I didn't read anything about it, but here on the forum.
How is it possibile? One of the greatest trombone player ever lived.
Many great players from the past were also great arrangers, a tradition that has becoming more and more rare over the years.
That ability played a big role also in their improvisations.
Surely Slide did both roles wonderfully!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts