Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hunting high and low for a copy of Sonny Stitts "Compact Jazz" the verve years. Without spending $50 anyone want to sell a copy. There's some tunes on the album I'd like to transcribe.

Also hunting for "Constellation". I know there was a double reissue that combined "Tune Up" Muse records, but once again people are out there trying to rape those that just need a few tunes.

These two albums are both out of print.

·
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the UK amazon suggestion. I was able to locate a copy of "Constellation".

I did some cross referencing on the net and realized that I already have most of the songs on the "Compact Jazz" compilation.

I found them on my:

New York Jazz, Personal Appearance, Sits in with Oscar Peterson

I have most all of the Sonny's Albums, so I should have studied the tracks before I posted.

I already had "Tune Up" on Muse, but Constellation is kind of expensive it set me back $22. I needed CD's and not vinyl on this job because I'm transcribing and I need to slow the recordings down, I can slow the vinyl down to with one of my transcribing tools, but it's kind of low quality sound.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Sits in with the Oscar Peterson Trio and Endgame Brilliance: Constellation and Tune-Up are two (three?) of my absolute favorite Stitt albums (Sonny Side Up too). I think I dropped about $30 each. Sits in with the OP3 was a Japanese import. Both were well worth the extra money.

·
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stitts 50's and 60's work is just sick. The man was on fire, so many text book examples of one perfect solo after another. For me I enjoy him more than Charlie Parker. Parker can be a bit harsh, but Stitt always goes down smooth.

And it's sad that pieces of his discography is either out of print or hard to come by.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts