Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight was a good night at the Crossroads. Here's a clip from the longest tune we played tonight... EVERYONE wanted to play. LOL It's Au Privave, not that you can tell. This thing builds and builds up to the end. It seems every player is greater than the last.

In this clip, we start with 10-year-old trumpet player Geoffrey Gallante, then I play some (I was really tired, cut me slack! Spent a couple hours in the shed and had a 3 hour rehearsal learning Elektric Band tunes before this session...).

After me is a guy I haven't seen before, Randall Hayward. He is a BEAST on that trumpet. So clean. Then alto player Anthony Ware takes a turn on soprano (check out the Anthony Ware Core-tet), followed by alto player Irwin Hall (Melody Gardot) tearing up the tenor, and finally trumpet player James Gibbs III (TS Monk, Jill Scott, etc.) trades a muted solo with sitting-in drummer, Carlos Frias.

Organist Radam Schwartz runs the session and has mentored James, Irwin and Anthony since they were children. The lessons I took with him have changed my outlook on practicing improv (see the link in my signature for an important lesson he taught me).

http://danperezsax.com/dontlookhere/Jam Session 072011.mp3

·
Registered
67 Posts
Listening to this while at work was the highlight of my day. Thanks for uploading this. Great stuff. More people need to do this.

·
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys! Yes, saxmusicguy, this is the jam where I cut my teeth. I convinced my parents to bring me when I was 15 or 16 until I could drive myself there, and they let me sit in when I could barely play. Irwin and Anthony were already killin, though they are a couple years younger. They were studying with Radam for a couple years by that point. James is about 10 years older, was a working pro, and had played with Herbie, Jazz at Lincoln Center and TS Monk by then. Other regulars at the time included Oliver Nelson's nephew Anthony Nelson, alto player extraordinaire Bruce Williams, and long-time (current) regular trumpet player, Dave Ginsberg, who played with the Jazz Messengers at some point.

Organist Akiko Tsuruga got her American start here while she was dating then house guitarist Eric Johnson, who has since moved back to Pittsburgh.

I still go back as often as possible, sometimes for fun, sometimes like this week because I have been playing too much non-jazz and need to bring the chops back up.

Last week Russell Malone sat in, which is a semi-regular occurrence. Benson has come through a few times.

·
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL, thanks man. I woke up on that tune a bit, but there's still a few parts where I go for stuff and don't make it, where the ideas are disjointed or sloppy, the rhythm is hinky, and I'm relying too much on repetition and diminished licks for some reason. Not thrilled with it... but I tend not to be thrill with MY playing when cats like Irwin Hall are around. BELIEVE I will be transcribing.

He's on Charnett Moffett's album, "Treasure," and will be on DeeDee Bridgewater's album dropping towards the end of this year. Keep an eye out! He's based in Japan now, though, so don't hope to see him in NY too much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts