Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My solution to clip on sax mic that sounds decent. Split and isolate an SM57, run a wire to the transformer (bottom 1/2 of mic), use viton orings that last, put a connector in the wire coming off the sax in case the wire gets yanked. Play and dance around on stage.

You could do this to any good mic. I tried it on a Sennheiser 421 (which i like better) but the magnet was too heavy. Someone should market this or something similar.

View attachment 226918

The plastic caps at the mic split are simple friction fit. The tripod wire and clips for the orings are stainless steel, urathane rubber tubing on the wire where it fits on the sax bell.

A cascade knuckelhead mic already has a wire to the separate transformer and clips for mounting orings - but I wasn't sure the delicate ribbon was up to the task - if it was then it could be an easy option.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I like your half-a-57 solution. Did you make the tripod yourself?

Back in my rock and roll days I used a Keene clamp and a whole 57, but it was heavy as all getout and did weird things to the balance. I was young and springy then so I didn't care. Once I saw a Keene clamp for baritone for sale and (IDIOT!!!!) didn't buy it. Now I gather they are long gone and haven't been seen in the wild for years.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If you can find then, a Keen clamp does the same thing and is built a bit better. But long out of production.

Why not just get one of the several clip-ons available from Sure, Audix, Audio-Technica, or DPA?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts