Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay: Just to prove to myself that this recent France & Italy tour wasn't a hallucination, I thought I'd put up something from my Valentine's Day gig at the (glorious! beautiful!) Jazz Club Torino, with the Blue Lake Jazz 5...

I'm playing alto (took it for granted it would be easier to get on the plane than a tenor...), and my good friend Tom Stansell is on his Martin tenor, working to channel his Inner Mobley. Tom's up first; the alto kicks in around 3:10... Here's the first or second tune of the night:

City Slicker

(Rumors abound that there's a board recording of our concert at the Altitude Jazz Fest in Briancon, but since that has steadfastly refused to materialize, here's yet another trusty H4 recording...)

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,061 Posts
Tearing it up as usual Kelly! Love the tune. You guys definitely have a great feel going and a phenomenal energy! Keep it coming, its always great to hear more from you!

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Nice exploration of the harmonic parameters in your solo. Kind of fragmented, but I guess that goes with exploring that sort of territory. Contrasts well with the tenor solo. Would have been great to have been there to hear it in person. Kudos.

·
4,241 Posts
Okay: Just to prove to myself that this recent France & Italy tour wasn't a hallucination, I thought I'd put up something from my Valentine's Day gig at the (glorious! beautiful!) Jazz Club Torino, with the Blue Lake Jazz 5...
I'm playing alto (took it for granted it would be easier to get on the plane than a tenor...), and my good friend Tom Stansell is on his Martin tenor, working to channel his Inner Mobley. Tom's up first; the alto kicks in around 3:10... Here's the first or second tune of the night:
City Slicker
(Rumors abound that there's a board recording of our concert at the Altitude Jazz Fest in Briancon, but since that has steadfastly refused to materialize, here's yet another trusty H4 recording...)
Kelly, Great alto man, nice playing, good tune, real nice group sound. wish i had been there.......

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your comments, Wade and Rufusax! Yeah, it was a nice group, and there was definitely a contrast in sax styles... (You should hear Tom live: butter 'n chocolate...)

Wade: I'd probably agree with "fragmented"... The alto has always been for me the more "consonant" of my two horns -- I do stuff on tenor I don't do on alto, and I'm trying to push my alto more into that turf. Gets a little "seat-of-the-pantsy" at times!

Thanks, guys...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts