Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone doing jazz covers of Little Wing?

I've seen groups work this in the setlist on occasion, and it is a lovely tune. Maybe it should be considered a modern standard (if it isn't already). I'm considering adding this one into my playlist...

A few very different interpretations on YT:

Gil Evans with Sting and Branford Marsalis (I thought Sting did a nice job with this)
http://youtu.be/aZjmrb3bjVo

Tuck and Patti (sandwhiched w Castles Made of Sand).
http://youtu.be/M56QwDjE6PQ

And, our old favorite from Clapton where Sanborn goes in the the stratosphere...looks like they're having a blast! Most similar to the original, but I never get tired of this one - too much fun!!!
http://youtu.be/l6F2qExLsic

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,476 Posts
I agree. Little Wing is definitely a crowd pleaser at my gigs. B

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
You really can't go wrong with Hendrix

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...one of my faves.... i always enjoy hearing a guitarist play the intro

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
...one of my faves.... i always enjoy hearing a guitarist play the intro
Not an easy bit to play...if you are going to do it exactly. I have heard many a player butcher that beginning...including me. Of all the parts to 100+ tunes that I play regularly, that intro requires intense focus.

·
Registered
836 Posts
There was a pretty cool version of "Little Wing" by a group called Los Lobotomys with Brandon Fields on alto. Done in the 90's. It's still on itunes I think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
Gil Evans did a whole album of Hendix. It's a great album.
I feel this one is certianly a standard but I'm not sure it is a jazz standard yet. Hendrix is appreciated by many jazz fans though. Personally I'd rather play Purple Haze, which did at one mixed gig, (i.e. other bands there). We do more Latin stuff though so we play a bit of Santana which fits. Not sure how much Hendrix fits with other jazz groups. People like Sting , Tuck & Patti etc are more fusion than mainstream.
It used to be that jazz bands took popular tunes and 'jazzed them up'. These days it seems more introspective and bands write their own stuff or play old standards. Heck, Hendrix died 31 years ago!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
What about a latin version of Purple Haze?

Little Wing is not one of my Hendrix favorites, I prefer Purple Haze and All Along The Watchtower but Sanborn is in form on that solo.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Ditto with Oric... Gil Evans' Hendrix arrangements are super... In fact Gil has a piece called 'Introduction to Little Wing' which orchestrates a Jimi type solo intro into a piece!

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
The problem with tunes like these is people usually drown them in cheese which is a shame.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
Little Wing was a standard call at blues jam sessions that I went to in the early 90s.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts