Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
scan0001.jpg

Hopefully in the right forum, and hopefully clear as to what I need to know.

I don't have a teacher since moving upstate into a rural region, so could a theory expert please fill me in on how to go forward with this problem? I can play the tune fine, but I need to know which sections need repeating and in what order. Thank you in advance.

Aebersold is a little inconsistent apparantly with how they notate this stuff so I've been told.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Yep, you do just that

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
I find some of the aebersolds a bit odd at times, and I do struggle with codas as well... actually... I struggle with most things.

Nice art too Steve

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,288 Posts
I think I've worked it out. My red pen addition is correct.
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, the red pen is confusing, it is pointing at the repeat sign, but also circling the 1st time bar.

You don't repeat from the repeat sign (after the D7 bar) the second time, you repeat from there the first time. Then instead of the 1x bar, you jump straight to the 2x bar.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,205 Posts
...could a theory expert please fill me in on how to go forward with this problem?.
Just for the sake of proper terminology, you don't need a theory expert, you need someone who can read music. Totally different concepts.

Anyway, Pete has it right (of course). There are two endings to the first section (1 and 2). The first time through, play the first ending, second time go to the 2nd ending.

Your red indication is a bit unclear. You repeat from that "repeat" sign at the end of ending 1, the first time, not the second time. But now I've just repeated (pun intended) what Pete said.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I find some of the aebersolds a bit odd at times, and I do struggle with codas as well... actually... I struggle with most things.

Nice art too Steve
Thank you

Bit difficult doing both music and visual stuff. They're both so demanding.

Re your struggling with most things; I've heard you, you do good.

------------------

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, the red pen is confusing, it is pointing at the repeat sign, but also circling the 1st time bar.

You don't repeat from the repeat sign (after the D7 bar) the second time, you repeat from there the first time. Then instead of the 1x bar, you jump straight to the 2x bar.
All sorted

Thanks

--------------

@ Dave Dolson - thanks for the link

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
This is an unusual composition. You see, "After You've Gone" is not a standard 32bar AABA song, but instead it's a 40 bar ABACD form. This was the favorite chord changes for Art Pepper' Straight Life. What Aebersold should have done is write out the entire tune, so it could be analyzed more easily for the construction of the form. He only saved himself 8 bars... by making 1st and 2nd endings, however in a pro fake book this is to be expected as a kind of shorthand way of getting the most music in the smallest space. I've played charts with 1st, 2nd and 3rd endings,...a ds, another dss, and 2 codas! Look at those old German Marches from the 1880's with typical polka notation, all in a foreign language!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts