Sax on the Web Forum banner

Little Help Here Guys?

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Rick Adams 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there! i am new to this (i am a 16 yo guitarist) but since i 've seen the sax i felt in love with it! The promblem is that i bought a sax (Amati ATS-22) in a rush and i've been told that it has some differents from Yamahas so if i later want to move to Yamaha i will have a promblem. I don't know how truth is that and i'd like you to enlighten me. Just know that here (Cyprus) only Yamahas, Selmers and Amatis can be found

#11 ·
JimiDS said:
Hey every sax player i've met (not more than 5!) told me that yamaha is the ultimate and this should be my future option...
The real truth is... "forget about it and practice". By the time you're ready to buy your next sax you'll know so much more than you do right now about the world of saxophones and what your personal tastes and ambitions are that any advice or information collected at this stage will be largely a waste of effort. Instead, focus on getting to grips with playing your new sax and start reading the threads here on SOTW and in 12 months time you'll be amazed how much more you'll know :)

#13 ·
Well that's the same for me as it happens. I played guitar for many years and picked up the sax quite recently so I know exactly where you're coming from.

Imagine a friend of yours who knows nothing whatsoever about guitars and has just bought their first starter guitar kit - a mexican strat copy with a 15w practice amp, strap, plectrum and "how to play guitar" book" - what would you recommend they do next? Start worrying about the differences between their current guitar and a Les Paul/Parker Fly/PRS and how to master feedback and wahwah pedals, or start learning a few basic chords and scales, learn a few simple tunes and worry about that sort of stuff later? :D :D :D

Just like in guitars, all the skills you learn on a basic sax are completely transferrable to a better quality sax and if anything a pro sax will most likely be easier to play than a student sax (all else being equal). Don't give it a moment's thought - just play!

#16 ·
I started on guitar too. For the first 15 years of my public playing career I used an acoustic that cost me £15. It's still my best acoustic for recording.

Everyone told me the Yamaha FG180 was where I should be going. I've still never owned anything by Yamaha except an effects unit.

#17 ·
JimiDS said:
Can you propose something?
Without knowing how you perform on your existing set-up it would be pointless me suggesting a mouthpiece.

It really depends on your level of playing and how you cope on the mouthpiece you are playing already. If you sound okay and cope with your existing set-up, then just carry on with that for now.

Much better to get a good teacher (who's also a sax player) to assess how you're doing and guide you.

#19 ·
Can you get some face-to-face advice or a lesson off someone? Even if it's ten minutes or something, it'll really help to have someone there with you to check out your mouthpiece and reeds and make sure you're aligning the reed properly and you've got the mouthpiece positioned correctly in your mouth (that's called your embouchure if you haven't come across the term before).

#23 · (Edited)
JimiDS said:
Hey every sax player i've met (not more than 5!) told me that yamaha is the ultimate and this should be my future option...
I recall Gary stating that the Yamahas have no soul? I'm a King man, so everything else seems soulless.

Play the $#it out of the Amati, then try nicer horns when you feel you've pushed it to the limit, or it breaks.

#24 ·
I mean you're focussing on your school exams first and then you're going to get some sax lessons. Sensible, practical, intelligent... are you sure you're a 16yr old guitar player? ;) ;) ;)

And listen to Marty, he knows what he's talking about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.