Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I listen to a lot of Michael Brecker and Bob Berg recordings, and I'm trying to integrate what I hear into my playing. However, my playing isn't remotely like Brecker or Berg. Does anyone know of any other funk/fusion saxophonists?

I listen to a lot of Sly Stone, James Brown, EWF, Miles Davis (from his electric period), and Jimi Hendrix by the way.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,247 Posts
You gotta listen to the funk brothers (any motown artist had them backing them up). Maceo with James Brown is the MAN. Parliament (George Clinton), Chaka Khan, Isley Brothers. For a 'jazz' flavor, you need to listen to Herbie Hancock (Headhunters) from the early 70s. Anything by Prince for more modern funk.

I know you asked for saxophone specifically, but really funk is a groove, a feeling. The group makes the groove, not really the individual player.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
In addition to Maceo (I always say,"Maceo Parker is to funk saxophone as Charlie Parker is to bebop saxophone") and Parliament, you'll find some great horn-heavy funk if you check out some early Kool & the Gang, Average White Band, and the Crusaders. One of my all time favorites that doesn't really have much horns is The Meters (Rejuvenation). There's some great players playing today that are also worth checking out, including Sam Keninger (Soulive) and Karl Denson (Grey Boy All-Stars).

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
There's some great players playing today that are also worth checking out, including Sam Keninger (Soulive) and Karl Denson (Grey Boy All-Stars).
plus Courtney Pine, Tevet Sela, Joe Lovano with John Scofield, Skerik, Joshua Redman (Elastic period). Did somebody mention KARL DENSON tiny universe!!!!!!!!!!

B

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
to really get the groove the king of the D.C. gogo scene Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers (miles based much of his 80's sound off of Chuck,even stole his drummer)

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Zane Musa (sax player on the Carson Daly show) is part of a group called The Mother Funk Conspiracy, and they do some HEAVY stuff. Their only release I know if is self-titled.

If it's more of a funk/jazz/fusion/rock thing you're after, I highly recommend you check out SOTW member Brian Donohoe's (he goes by HeavyWeather, I think) band Snarky Puppy, and start with "The World is Getting Smaller." Epic writing and playing on that one.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've been trying to learn funk for some time now. As with everything the more I learn the more I realize how far I am from the "real funk".
Listening to Maceo is of course a must as everyone says. Following jasonm71 I'll say that what Maceo does with rhythm is analog to what Parker did for harmony.
It instantly sounds good and it's very difficult to learn. Contrary to Parker's harmony there is very little books and theory about funk rhythm.
To help me to understand the rhythm I've started to study some of the afro cuban rhythms. I think the integration of those rhythms to the R&B music created funk.
In fact some of the old funk tunes have some of the afro cuban percussion parts (like cascara) playing trough the song.
As in Cuban rumba also in funk the players are playing counter rhythms to each other to create the rhythm flow. The soloist must be part of the flow to make it sound good.

So listening recommendations top of everything already suggested I would add guys like Ray Barretto, Mongo Santamaria and even Tito Puente (the jazzier part of him).
To really get to the root of it I recommend also listening (and understanding) Cuban Guaguanco and Columbia rhythms.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Some real good suggestions have been given. Here are a couple of more roots oriented ones. Listen to Jr. Walker and the All Stars and Louis Jordan. If you go back far enough, you can also find Maceo Parker playing tenor with James Brown. Especially when he returned to the band after being in the service. The recent posting of the Lenny Pickett video really pointed out Jr. Walker's influence on his playing in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
any of eric marienthal's funk stuff is KILLER. his funky stuff is my fave along with joshua redmans but they're also totally different IMO redman is like modern funk... check out eric

·
Registered
63 Posts
hmm... check out the "soil and "pimp" sessions". their stuff is far more jazz based then the stuff you listed, but i definitely consider them fusion.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,237 Posts
For fusion there were some good bands like Colosseum, Keef Hartley Band, East of Eden, Blood Sweet & Tears, early Chicargo and Edgar Winters bands.

Sax players to listen to are King Curtis, Sam Taylor, Rusty Bryant and Lockjaw Davis.

Brecker played in a group called Pacific, Gas and Electric which was very 70s funky soul fusion stuff.

Maceo played with Pee Wee Ellis who has a few albums out - some featuring Maceo - which are well worth a listen.

Then there's all that stuff like Georgie Fame, Van Morrison and Steely Dan when the saxes are blowing.

·
2,386 Posts
In funk, Kenny Garrett's GOT to be on the syllabus. On my blog I transcribed and analyzed his solo on Miles's Human Nature. You can check out his solo here, and check out the blog here for the transcription and analysis of what he's up to. Hours of Fun for the Whole Family!

·
Registered
545 Posts
There's some great players playing today that are also worth checking out, including Sam Keninger (Soulive) and Karl Denson (Grey Boy All-Stars).

Man, Karl Denson is one of my favorite funk saxophonists out there. I definitely take a lot of what I do from him as well as many others including Maceo, and even the aforementioned Sam Keninger. Should also listen to Papa Grows Funk. My band had the opportunity to play an after party sort of dealio for them when they played at the Crystal Bay Club in Tahoe a few months back, but I got to check them out as well. Totally rockin group with a very New Orleans vibe. Wish I had the chance to talk to those guys but I really dug the sax player in PGF as well. I think his name is Jason Mingledorff? The keys player is also super funky and does great vocals. Candy Dulfer has some cool ideas too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm surprised no one mentioned Chris Potter.

Chris Potter is an amazing player. I have a friend who totally idolizes him.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Should also listen to Papa Grows Funk.
Thanks HawaiianSaxMan! That is my band and I'm Jason Mingledorff. I remember that gig and wish I had a chance to hear more of your band.

I was looking through this thread and noticed that Tower of Power hasn't been mentioned (although one of their great soloists Lenny Pickett was). I just saw them last night and they still sound great. Their current tenor soloist is Tommy Politzer, who's been with them for a while and sounds great. Another band mentioned was Snarky Puppy. In addition to Brian Donahoe, they also feature the great sax work of Chris Bullock. New Orleans has a great sax player named Jeff Watkins, who played with James Brown for a long time and currently touring with Joss Stone. Roy Hargrove has a great, funky alto player Keith Anderson who's definitely worth checking out.

·
2,221 Posts
Papa Grows Funk is the jam! (Hey Jason, this is Brian D from Snarky Puppy. Thanks for the bump! You're a bad dude.)

I couldn't resist chiming in on a funk/fusion thread. The OP mentioned Chris Potter, and I agree, his Underground band is one of the best things in modern jazz, fusion, music overall. Also, for modern funky guys, two of my favorites are Keith Anderson (from Marcus Miller's band and the RH Factor) and John Ellis. John is an all-around beast on the horn for any style, and he plays with crazy soul.

I'm a huge fan of Weather Report (Wayne Shorter) and the Headhunters (Bennie Maupin), and Herbie sometimes used Joe Henderson, as well. Joe sounds great on Fat Albert Rotunda and the Freddy Hubbard album Red Clay, which are both classic early jazz/funk records. I like to think of the spectrum of great jazz/funk saxophone as ranging between Bennie Maupin and Michael Brecker; completely different approaches, sounds, styles, vibes, etc, but both completely awesome. There's room for every kind of personality in this music, as long as it's authentic, and the person playing develops the crap out of their individuality.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts