Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard some bari players lip down to low A on a low Bb bari. I'm pretty sure this is a hard technique to learn, since the bell notes are the hardest to bend or add any inflections to at all. Does anyone know how to do this without using an extension?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
open pieces, softer reeds (on the soft side, not soft) and plenty of airstream shed hours. I lip down half note on all horns and clarinets.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Players often cross their legs and put their foot in the bell. As an alternative you can easily make a bell extension out of stiff paper the correct length to lower the low Bb a half step. The problem with lipping that far on low Bb is that the tone suffers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
It's natural, clean, in tune and in timbre for me. enough clarinet sheddin hours are really worth when it comes to saxophone intonation and general playing.

BTW I can't do this on Yamahas or other modern horns. I guess that perfected and doctored up bores are less forgiving.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Players often cross their legs and put their foot in the bell. As an alternative you can easily make a bell extension out of stiff paper the correct length to lower the low Bb a half step. The problem with lipping that far on low Bb is that the tone suffers.
A foot in the bell, is worth $3000.

A foot in the bell, saves 9.

A foot in the bell, is better than 2 in the case....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts