Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Can you be more specific? A buzzing feeling on your lips is common if you're new. If you're biting the inside of your lower lip with your lower front teeth, that's an embrochure issue that has to be corrected.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Issues?
Concerns?
Problems?
Trouble?

No worries!

SOTW knows how to fix them, even if provided none of the symptoms, causes, nature, attributes, details, extent, indications, duration, characteristics, degrees, or manifestations!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Over the years I have had to adapt to gig situations & have actually developed three embrochure styles that I use as occasion calls for.

Normally, I bite the lower lip & therefore go through seasons when it gets very sore. I have developed an alternate embrochure that rolls the bottom lip forward to relieve the pressure. I admit to only using the alternate style when lower lip pain calls for it.

I've also had occasions where maybe I accidentally bit the lower lip while eating, causing an open sore on the bottom lip. Or the outside of the bottom lips becomes raw from a rough reed. For these occasions I move the mouthpiece a few inches to the right.

It is amazing the habits (both good & bad) that develop over the years through a lot of gigging. There is no doubt a quality teacher might be highly critical of my approaches, but they get me through long nights & long weeks.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
I always have issues with my lips after playing lot of hours... Any tip for avoid this?
  1. Play fewer hours
  2. Play more hours (and wait to get used to it!)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Without looking back, I seem to recall a thread where you mention using a 5 or stronger reed. If so, I doubt I can relate because my embochure is probably nothing like yours... I can guess a really firm reed might contribute but...who knows?

If the above is wrong - I’d go with Pete’s advice. When I started gigging 4-5 nights a week, my lip hurt for a while (a week or two) but as he suggests- you get used to it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I use strong reeds but that is not the problem. I mean the normal irritation of the lips after playing about 6 hours for example. Nothing extreme, I know that this is normal but it's a little bit annoying

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
I mean the normal irritation of the lips after playing about 6 hours for example.
I don't know about any normal irritation of the lips. If, as you say, it is normal - then why look for tips to avoid it.

If you are using 5 reeds, then maybe using softer reeds might solve the problem. Obviously you may then need to work on air support and embouchure but that i9s a good thing thing and might solve the lip issue.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,589 Posts
If you play six hours every day your lips get used to playing six hours a day. That’s about all there is to it. If you’re having regular problems you’re probably doing something wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts