Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found another nice old video on YouTube that I would like to share here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La-_A4-KOXM

I remember having seen this on the Dutch television. It's coming from the Lionel Hampton All Star Big Band at the North Sea Jazz Festival in 1978 in The Netherlands.

I love the solo of the great Arnett Cobb starting at 04:26. The tone of that master of the tenor is incredible. Check his high G at 05:18, it sounds like a horse! Pitty that the camera work is a bit chaotic during his solo!

Enjoy!!!

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it's an old thread, but I just found another live clip of the same Lionel Hampton All Star Big Band recorded during the same tour and wanted to add it here. This clip is from 16th July 1978 and was recorded in Nice (FR) at the "Newport Jazz Festival".

Two numbers, "Begin The Beguine" and "On The Sunny Side Of The Street" (starting at 9:05). The band doesn't sound very sharp, but I love both Arnett Cobb solo's (especially the one on Sunny Side) starting at 3:33 and 9:05 in the clip.

or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbg1dLi_YqA

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just found a new YouTube clip of 30:20 minutes of Lionel Hampton and his All Star Orchestra, recorded in 1978 at the North Sea Jazzfestival in The Netherlands.

Here is the full clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FM9-d1_r_M

Interesting solo's:

08:12 - Earl Warren - alto sax
14:20 - Joe Newman and Cat Anderson - trumpet (battle)
19:15 - Arnett Cobb - tenor sax
27:54 - Arnett Cobb - tenor sax

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Thanks for posting those great videos! Lionel was an amazing musician and pretty underrated IMO. I saw his big band at Disneyland in California in the early 90's and was blown away by his energy and serious chops on both vibes and drum set (anybody that hasn't had the experience of watching him play a drum kit solo is missing out!).

I had the honor of playing a festival in Germany with him in the late 90's (a couple of debilitating strokes later) ..... he was barely functional back stage. He couldn't talk and didn't know where he was. As soon as he sat down at his vibes on stage it was like he went back in time 50 years. Playing great solos, singing a ballad, talking to the audience ...... it was absolutely amazing to see! After the gig was over and the band was walking off stage he was still calling tunes and counting them off until one of his people came and wheeled him off stage in his wheelchair. As soon as we got backstage he transformed back into a very sick old man, barely able to lift his head and unable to talk. The healing power of music is a crazy thing!

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for sharing that story David :).

For those who never saw him behind the drums: check 27:54, where he plays drums under the great solo of Arnett Cobb.

I've seen Big Jay McNeely some years ago during a tour in NL and saw his transformation from off stage towards on stage from very close by. The difference in appearing was really amazing. Those kind of people like Hamp and Big Jay (Illinois Jacquet is another one) are real performers, they seem to get a ton of extra energy as soon as they enter a stage and smell/see the public.

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is another clip of the same Band from July 1978, as recorded in Nice (FR) at the "Newport Jazz Festival".

This time a Blues called 'M Squad Theme' with some very nice solo's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pTi9y9W4rc

Interesting solo's:

02:55 - Kai Winding
04:17 - Charles Mac Pherson (as)
06:20 - Pepper Adams (bars) <== KILLING!
08:07 - Arnett Cobb (ts)
10:04 - Cat Anderson (tp)

Enjoy! :)

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is another great long (57m13s!) video registration of the 1978 concert of Hampton at the North Sea Jazzfestival in Den Haag (NL).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzSJCLkqTqY

Several songs with great soloists like Arnett Cobb (especially nice to see a close up of his embouchure at his extended Flying Home solo starting at 51:34), Pepper Adams, Cat Anderson and many others. :)

Here is a time index of songs and the sax solo's I just made:

00:35 - Airmail Special (Hampton,
05:00 - Ain't Misbehavin' (Hampton, Joe Newman, Arnett Cobb at 9:45, Cat Anderson)
13:30 - Moment's Notice (Paul Moen at 15:25, Hampton, sax special at 18:30)
19:40 - Blues (Band introduction, Ray Briant, Billy Mackel, Joe Newman, Charles McPherson at 26:57, Kai Winding, Arnett Cobb at 30:30)
33:48 - On The Sunny Side Of The Street (Arnett Cobb at 33:50, Hampton)
40:00 - Hamp's Boogie (Ray Briant, Hampton, Arnett Cobb at 44:33, BIG party!!!)
47:22 - Flying Home (Pepper Adams at 48:30, Bennie Powell, Arnett Cobb at 51:34, BIG party!!!)

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I had the honor of playing a festival in Germany with him in the late 90's (a couple of debilitating strokes later) ..... he was barely functional back stage. He couldn't talk and didn't know where he was. As soon as he sat down at his vibes on stage it was like he went back in time 50 years. Playing great solos, singing a ballad, talking to the audience ...... it was absolutely amazing to see! After the gig was over and the band was walking off stage he was still calling tunes and counting them off until one of his people came and wheeled him off stage in his wheelchair. As soon as we got backstage he transformed back into a very sick old man, barely able to lift his head and unable to talk. The healing power of music is a crazy thing!
Thanks for sharing this story David.

Enjoying these videos - great theme Peter ! :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Enjoying these videos - great theme Peter ! :mrgreen:
You're welcome Brendan. :)

Just added a time index to the long video in post #8, makes it easier to check the songs and sax soloists.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts