Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I did some Google searching and didn't come up with much. I have a Tenor Saxophone that I purchased USED in the late 1980's. Played it for about a year and haven't touched it since.

On the bell it is engraved with "Linton" and a design, HOWEVER it does NOT have Elkhardt, Ind engraved on it. Serial number is 17,XXX with no letters.

See attachments for a couple pics of the engraving on mine.

I also found this picture on the web of a similar Sax that is identified as a Malerne stencil. Same key work and styles, but the engraving in the pic shows Elkhardt, Ind, which mine does not have:

http://saxpics.com/the_gallery/Malerne/stencils/16610-Linton/DSCN5499.jpg

Similar to my Martin Bari that I posted about last week, I am trying to find out if it is worth making playable again? Is it a student model, intermediate, pro? When was it made? General idea of worth? Any and all info appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Sure has pretty engraving :) . My best guess would be intermediate, but I could be wrong. Any pictures of the LH cluster, neck, bell brace, Fork and palm keys. This could help identify it. Also serial number (first 3 numbers followed by Xs) would help.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure has pretty engraving :) . My best guess would be intermediate, but I could be wrong. Any pictures of the LH cluster, neck, bell brace, Fork and palm keys. This could help identify it. Also serial number (first 3 numbers followed by Xs) would help.
Serial number is 17,xxx

I'll post up some more pics in a couple minutes

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Attached Pics of Left Hand cluster, neck, bell brace, Right Hand palm, Left Hand Palm.

Couldn;t figure out what the "fork" was?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts
There is a town called Linton, in Greene County Indiana, but it is a farming town with no known mfg plants. In the 1930s it was the population center of the US.

·
6,831 Posts
Attached Pics of Left Hand cluster, neck, bell brace, Right Hand palm, Left Hand Palm.

1st picture is of the "Fork F/E" mechanism.

Now all we need is the Low Bb Cluster (the left hand cluster I mentioned). This piece goes by so many names it's rediculous!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

1st picture is of the "Fork F/E" mechanism.

Now all we need is the Low Bb Cluster (the left hand cluster I mentioned). This piece goes by so many names it's rediculous!
Ahh, think this is what you mean?

·
6,831 Posts
Yep. That's it :D .

Looks fast and comfortable actually. How "balanced" does low C# feel? That style of table (lots of variations) usually lends to a stiff low C#, but some I've played (my '26 King Bari for one) have actually been quite light and balanced. The low C# to low Bb break is very smartly designed.

Still not sure who makes it though. Borrows the best of the designs from many Intermediate brands of the era.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,013 Posts
Lintons come across eBay once in a while.

They are either R. Malerne stencils, or Orsi stencils. France or Italia...take your pick...

I have a couple of Linton Tenors, one being the Orsi, the other the Malerne.

The sax in this instance is a Malerne. Absolutely sure, based on RH pinky spatula and the left hand pinky table...plus the bell brace.

The Orsi ones have the "sideways teardrop" shaped bell brace and a different pinky table, a more standard RH pinky spatula on the C. There is an Orsi Linton up on eFlay now...incidentally, at the BIN price, for a horn which has already been completely serviced...it's kind of a steal; if anyone is willing to take the leap of faith, I would bet you it would pay off (no it's not mine):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Linton-Tenor-Saxophone-Linton-Mouthpiece-King-T-MPC_W0QQitemZ170330837620QQihZ007QQcategoryZ16234QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

However, I would not call either The Malerne nor Orsi-made Lintons "student" horns; they are better than that....the ones I have are both respectable pro players; heavy, well made, decent ergos, good action, nice tone....the Malerne silghtly edgier sounding, the Orsi mellower and purer sounding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you interested on selling this Saxophone? My nephew is a beginner and i have been dying to let him play the Saxophone. He is 11 so I guess this is a good age for him to start playing music. Unfortunately I couldn't find a sax dealer in Tampa.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.