Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I dunno, but I ordered some bass sax reeds, (Rico), today, from USAReeds, and the order printout called them
Contra-alto saxophone reeds. I'm hoping I get what I want...bass sax reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
It's a clarinet. Contralto clarinet in EEb, a fifth below the bass clarinet. AKA an Eb contrabass (there's also a BBb contrabass, an octave below the bass).

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well, it doesn't say contralto saxophone, it very clearly states contra alto clarinet, but in a "saxophone wrap". Never heard of such a thing, but there it is. I'm not real sure of the "saxophone fingerings" part, either. Very strange looking piece. It also erroneously states that it plays an octave below the bari sax, but that's simply wrong. Contra-alto clarinet plays the same octave as bari.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
The range would go a 4th or 5th below, to G or Gb concert.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
It looks like a really weird hybrid. The RH pinky keys are sax-like, but the LH group looks like it's probably the same keying as a clarinet, only shaped like a LH spatula group. Looks like a clarinet-style middle G# and A key.

Just intriguing enough to maybe get me into hot water... but I'm in need of a new A clarinet first, so I'd better steer clear.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
SaxTon: Yes, I tried WWBW. Shipping costs are too high. I'm hoping Mark Crutchfield at USAReeds comes through. SC

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
hmmm... "contra alto clarinet wrapped like a saxophone, it appears to have a saxophone fingering system" - very lyrical...

Like the look of the setup, pearls/cups because obviously the fingers can't spread that much (or be that big), and the LH/RH pinkie keys have been 'rationalised' more like on Albert system than the duplicated Boehm pinkies - but then again, think what sort of complex mechanism 'full Boehm pinkie tables' would take on something that size...[rolleyes]

If they come in 'C' I'll take two....:lick:

·
Registered
206 Posts
The range would go a 4th or 5th below, to G or Gb concert.
Yes, but all common notes would be in unison, not octaves. A bottom space f would equal a bottom space f, etc.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well, it drew no bids, he relisted it with the same bizarre description, but $300 less and lowered the shipping as well. It does not resemble other contra alto clarinet's I've seen pictures of. Weird hybrid indeed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
I have a contralto clarinet, and it looks just like an overgrown bass, but with klunkier keywork. That's part of why this is so intriguing...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
Buy it then Leanne! You know you want it..........it makes sense ! :twisted:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts