Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been asked before, sorry in advance - but I found this mpc in the case of an older Buffet Super Dynaction I recently bought. Too small for me as to the tip opening (7), but plays very well. Straight signature, small USA stamp on the left side of the body and not on the shank, much thinner shank walls than my modern TE, still with a casting number (1) in the chamber... anyone any ideas (and sorry again if this has been discussed before, but I am intrigued by the USA stamp on the side...)

Office supplies Bumper Writing implement Wood Tints and shades
Office supplies Writing implement Natural material Tool Wood
Pen Writing implement Office supplies Office instrument Wood
Liquid Fluid Finger Thumb Nail care
Finger Gesture Gadget Thumb Satellite phone

·
Premium Member
18,674 Posts
Probably one of the first Babbit Tone Edge mouthpieces made around 1980, just after the real Early Babbitt's.

See also:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Interesting mouthpiece!
With the USA on the side of the shank.
Looks like it has a steep beak, machining mark, the font look small to my eye but I might be wrong on this. But has a casting number in? That is weird 😕

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,702 Posts
A lot of people would call it an eb. It is kind of transitional. It has the right beak and does not seem to have the lake behind the baffle like a modern TE.
What people don't get about the history of links and Babbitt is that they did not make all these changes because they felt they had a new and revolutionary design. The replaced cores and molds because they wore out. You must realize that they make a quarter million pieces a year. A core makes a hellava lot of pieces but nothing lasts forever.
Anyway it looks like it could be a nice player. Good case candy

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,595 Posts
Just the sort of mpc I would bid on, if I were collecting.

Just the sort of mpc I would buy, if I were on the hunt for my sound.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all of you - Yepp, a 7 is a bit too small - I definitely prefer my 9 EB and my 10mfan The Boss 9 (to compete with the trumpet players ;) )

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
This may have been asked before, sorry in advance - but I found this mpc in the case of an older Buffet Super Dynaction I recently bought. Too small for me as to the tip opening (7), but plays very well. Straight signature, small USA stamp on the left side of the body and not on the shank, much thinner shank walls than my modern TE, still with a casting number (1) in the chamber... anyone any ideas (and sorry again if this has been discussed before, but I am intrigued by the USA stamp on the side...)

View attachment 114820 View attachment 114821 View attachment 114822 View attachment 114823 View attachment 114824
If you have time, would you mind posting some photos kind of sighting down the plane of the baffle.? It would be interesting to me to see some pics showing the baffle angle in relationship to the chamber.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I bought and still have a 7* just like yours.
Bought new in 81 or 2. White box with orange printing. I played it for years until getting a HR Couf Artist 9*. I try it occasionally and still like it. Very balanced. I'm just used to a more open tip and softer reed. Pretty good on Buescher C mel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts