Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am interested in trying a big chamber mouthpiece. Currently I am using a Jody Jazz HR 6*. I am satisfied with it, but I want to experience with different types of mouthpieces.

The obvious choice would be an Otto Link ebonite, but regarding the Link quality issues (myth or not), I have been looking for Link-style mouthpieces. It seems that there are a lot of these mouthpieces and all of them seem to be "better" or at least "more reliable" than modern Links. If that is true, is there any reason to buy a Link instead of one of these (besides the price)? And, what do you think about Aizen, Ishimori, and other Link-style mouthpieces?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Hi, I am interested in trying a big chamber mouthpiece. Currently I am using a Jody Jazz HR 6*. I am satisfied with it, but I want to experience with different types of mouthpieces.

The obvious choice would be an Otto Link ebonite, but regarding the Link quality issues (myth or not), I have been looking for Link-style mouthpieces. It seems that there are a lot of these mouthpieces and all of them seem to be "better" or at least "more reliable" than modern Links. If that is true, is there any reason to buy a Link instead of one of these (besides the price)? And, what do you think about Aizen, Ishimori, and other Link-style mouthpieces?

Thank you.
You can try Brancher, I've got the J serie, it's quite good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,610 Posts
The Vandoren V16HR has a larger chamber than the Jody Jazz, and they have better quality control than Link. So that would put you in a more Link-like direction. I think Phil-Tone does a re-worked Link for a decent price, and he does nice work.

·
12,898 Posts
Thanks Art
my redone links have been replaced by the Sapphire
It has that bluenote vibe and is inspired by the late slants and early Babbitt pieces.
Steve neff did a thorough review of it.

·
12,898 Posts
Thanks G

I didn't notice the fact that he or she is a new member.

Barcelona no less. I will be meeting with a couple of shopkeepers in Barcelona in a few weeks. Can't wait for good wine, cheese, and real bread

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,254 Posts
Barcelona no less. I will be meeting with a couple of shopkeepers in Barcelona in a few weeks. Can't wait for good wine, cheese, and real bread
Happy travels to ya, Phil. That sounds like a great road trip.

Amen to Real Food. I still remember doing much the same in Athens and Sardinia a few decades ago.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Sakshama Florida, Ted Klum, Lebayle LR. I had these and all were sweet in that Link vibe.

·
2,381 Posts
I regularly play both the Sapphire and Pillinger NYT (his link-like piece).
The Sapphire is slightly more on the bright side.
New Tone Edge can be decent pieces, but plan a reface. I still have to experiment properly with them. Never found one to bring on stage.

Trying mouthpieces is usually the way to go. If you fall in love, you will know it.
http://www.pillingermouthpieces.co.uk/
Richard Hamer currently stocks Phil Tone (Sigmund451) pieces in Europe.
http://www.woodwindsalesandrepairs.com/mouthpiecesales.html

They both have a good return policy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your answers.

About the budget: I don't have a precise budget, but, for example, Ted Klum mouthpieces are too expensive for me (but thank you for the advice I/VI/II/V!!).

About Steve Neff mouthpiece reviews: Yes, I know this page. Great reviews and great playing from Steve (thanks Dr G!!).

About Phil and his trip to Barcelona: Does that mean that your mouthpieces will be available directly from some shops of my town? That would be great!!

About Vandoren V16: it seems to me that there are many people happy with these affordable mouthpieces.

I am still looking in the web for all the mouthpieces recommended in this thread. I did not know some of them...

·
12,898 Posts
HI Db,

Its up to the shopkeepers in Barcelona but that is the goal. I will be setting up some appointments if they wish to try the pieces. If they like what they see and we work things out the answer is yes.

Feel free to put a bug in the ears of reputable saxophone dealers. Im always open to discussion.

thanks
Phil

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,107 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
i have
matt marantz new custom tenor piece
brilhart hard rubber (with hard rubber printed on shank)
Lebayle LR3
James Bunte 42
and a 10mfan mouthpiece (don't have yet but played one)

all are great link style pieces in my opinion.
if i was on budget i would go with a james bunte 42 and it has some edge when pushed. even if wasn't on a budget i think this is a must have piece for me. all are great!!! i just can't keep one. but i must say i don't have a feeling like i need another mouthpiece. these cover what i need.

metal i would say sakshama florida !!! awesome piece.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
Hey there,

As jhelle mentioned, I'm currently making one. My website for them will be setup shortly with more info, but basically my Link style pieces are a 3D scan of a Slant Link chamber which is then machined into a new blank made out of HR, then hand finished. I can also do metal ones which are copies of the Florida Double-Ring in brass. Right now, the prototypes are done and I can work by special order, and I anticipate having more blanks ready in early February. Couple of pics below.

Best,
Matt

·
Registered
543 Posts
The OP talked simply about trying a big chamber mouthpiece. If that's the case, is it necessary to spend 350 dollars or more for a Klum or Aizen? You can buy a vintage large chamber mouthpiece from the 30s or 40s--when this style ruled--and have it refaced, all for about half of a new large chambered mouthpiece. And that includes having the floor raised so that it isn't stuffy. Unless there is some more specific parameter than a "large chamber mouthpiece", why recommend really expensive choices?

·
12,898 Posts
I do my best to keep pieces moderately priced.

The Sapphire sells for 279.00

Im happy for the OP to buy whatever works for him but buying a piece and then playing cut and paste with epoxy is a longway around getting a good piece. It adds additional levels of risk. Additionally, some of the pieces mentioned here are closer to medium chambers. That is not a bad thing in itself, its just not what he asked about.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts