Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probably going to result in everyone telling me to do long tones and stuff (which I assure you I do enough of). But anyways here goes.

For the past while I've been playing an STM on a late Conn 10 M - which has been fine, until a few days ago I pulled out the Tone Edge after listening to a lot of Joshua Redman (I love his sound).

What I've found is this - On the Tone Edge I get a much rounder, fuller tone but I just don't get that definition/projection in my sound that I get from my STM.

Does anyone know a way to make my STM either sound darker and richer... or does anyone know how to Make the TE louder/more articulate without use of artificial baffle?

I currently play on Rico Jazz Select Unfiled 3S reeds. I use the stock lig for my STM and I use a Rovner Dark lig on my TE.

Should I just switch ligs on my TE to make it better?

·
Banned
16 Posts
I've played them both too and also wanted a sound between them.
The full and round tone of the Tone Edge with the overtones and the projection of the Super Tone Master.
Most of the people I've talked with about that issue said, that they don't believe that there's a mouthpiece who can bring this two attributes together.
I'm now playing a Vandoren V16 T75 metal mouthpiece, which has a very edgy sound.
I use a rovner dark ligature and Vandoren jaZZ reeds to add roundness to the V16 and love the sound I'm getting out of it.
Perhaps this helps too with your Super Tone Master, who's build like the V16?!

Cheers, TeeJot

P.S.: I'm just testing a Phil Barone New York mouthpiece - interested in the results?!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,305 Posts
If your looking for a warmer, rounder sound than an STM...then, the metal V16 is not going to get you there. I like the metal V16s but they are harsher and more brittle than your STM.

You should give a rubber V16 a try. They play like a good slant link...much louder than a tone edge but a little warmer than my STM.

·
Banned
16 Posts
I didn't mean't him to buy a V16 metal mouthpiece.
I just mentioned, that I've softened the V16's edge with a rovner dark ligature and Vandoren jaZZ reeds.
And because the STM is build like a V16 this eventually could be worth a try, before buying a new mouthpiece.

Cheers, TeeJot

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I got a new STM NY from EZ a while ago that he had set up for maximum warmth and it is much warmer than many of the HR pieces I have played, there is a lot a good refacer can do. I might be willing to sell the piece, send me a PM.

·
Registered
253 Posts
benbyrne said:
Should I just switch ligs on my TE to make it better?
Yes! My personal favorite piece on Conn body tubed horns is my current production, blueprinted Tone Edge. The chamber and baffle are completely stock and with a regular old Selmer lig I think it sounded great on my Chu and SX90R. The piece is a 7 and I use either 3 or 3.5 yellow box Superials. I think your Rovner is the problem.

Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Get a metal NY Link. These are my favorite among Babbitts current offering. I have a .105 refaced by Mojo that plays like heaven and would get you pretty close to the sound between the rubber link and stm. Don't go too large with a tip on the NY as it's not necessary and it will make it harder to focus the sound.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just got a rollover link-type HR piece from Springer that rocks! I get the projection (as well as the ability to play softly) that I want, with out the harshness of the metal pieces I was playing. Large chamber HR piece and have gotten tons of compliments on my sound from people who have heard me play many times before. Check his pieces out as they are hand-done and are as cheap or less than a new brand-name one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses.

TeeJot said:
P.S.: I'm just testing a Phil Barone New York mouthpiece - interested in the results?!
always interested in results of mouthpiece testing - they are like toys to a four year old to me gotta try them all out.

sinkdraiN said:
You should give a rubber V16 a try. They play like a good slant link...much louder than a tone edge but a little warmer than my STM.
I tried them out a while ago and liked them - maybe I'll give them another go. my tenor tone has changed alot since i tried them.

In regards to a metal V16 I saw dave liebman play a metal V16 when he was down here and it sounded beautiful... unfortunately no one stocks them in australia. My current tech plays one and says its great - maybe I should ask him for a try on it.

thanks again for the replies and help guys

--Ben

·
Registered
138 Posts
benbyrne said:
Thanks for all the responses.

always interested in results of mouthpiece testing - they are like toys to a four year old to me gotta try them all out.

I tried them out a while ago and liked them - maybe I'll give them another go. my tenor tone has changed alot since i tried them.

In regards to a metal V16 I saw dave liebman play a metal V16 when he was down here and it sounded beautiful... unfortunately no one stocks them in australia. My current tech plays one and says its great - maybe I should ask him for a try on it.

thanks again for the replies and help guys

--Ben
Lieb's V16 was opened up to over a .130 if I recall, with pretty thick rails. Someone in France did the work on it. So, it's definitely not a stock V16.

Thanks
Ken

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
I have a repair shop in australia and the V16 are avaliable here, why dont you try a little baffle in your tone edge or the V16 in hard rubber,they are great pieces.
Dirk.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
kennyb said:
Lieb's V16 was opened up to over a .130 if I recall, with pretty thick rails. Someone in France did the work on it. So, it's definitely not a stock V16.

Thanks
Ken

I believe that someone was Francois Louie. Could be wrong, but I seem to remember hearing this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,767 Posts
Remember that the STM might seem brighter and harsher than it actually is simply because metal vibrates differently in your mouth than hard rubber does, so the direct "feedback" you get from the vibrations in your skull is different. I've found that I hear a big difference between my stock 6* Tone Edge and my refaced STM 8 when I play them, but when I record them, they sound very similar, with the STM just having a bit more prescence and complexity. The combo I play with can't tell the difference between the two (they can tell the difference between my Berg 110/2 and the STM, though).

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
J.Max said:
I believe that someone was Francois Louie. Could be wrong, but I seem to remember hearing this.

sounds like every french name to me hahaha... just kidding.

dirty said:
Remember that the STM might seem brighter and harsher than it actually is simply because metal vibrates differently in your mouth than hard rubber does, so the direct "feedback" you get from the vibrations in your skull is different. I've found that I hear a big difference between my stock 6* Tone Edge and my refaced STM 8 when I play them, but when I record them, they sound very similar, with the STM just having a bit more prescence and complexity.
Yeah I had a friend sit in a room and asked him what he thought and his thoughts were simmilar to mine, which is why I brought this to the forum. That was a very valid point though!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts