Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you had BP do a reface or played one ??

·
Premium Member
15,489 Posts
Brian has probably done 1000 mouthpieces for me in the past when I was selling tons of vintage mouthpieces.
His work is always superb. He made every mouthpiece play better for me and I can see that without any hesitation. Very precise work.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
I had one years ago. Was the only metal piece I played on tenor for any period of time. Brian does great work on Links.

- Saxaholic

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I picked one up. it's a 7* NY STM dialed and BP engraved .110. I looked to buy some Links a couple yrs back but they did not work out. I have spent no time with it yet, I need to take it on a gig. I got a Happy Hr at the Retirement comm today maybe a good test.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Brian did a few of mine, and yes, his work is outstanding! I’m getting ready to sell my .108, fully gold replated, Powell NY Link. Great piece, but I play a slightly different tip opening now if you’re looking for one.
I still have the Falcon "Florida Mod" NY STM you traded to me that Brian fixed up. I don't play it, but I also won't get rid of it. Nice piece.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I still have the Falcon "Florida Mod" NY STM you traded to me that Brian fixed up. I don't play it, but I also won't get rid of it. Nice piece.
Yeah that’s a nice piece, I used it for a couple of years. Then I hit on another one he did with a bit more brightness. He re-did the facing curve on it and had it gold plated and I’ve been using it ever since. The .108 (7**) that I’m going to sell is a lot like the one I’m using now, just in a different tip size. All these pieces have been great, it’s really just a matter of reed preference, etc.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to hear such good reviews, now I know what you guys are talking about. Today I just threw on a broke in Legere Sig #2 and went for it.. the thing is joy to play, effortless response and wow the huge robust sound. Pure velvet. Was perfect for todays intimate venue. A real keeper I think..

I had fun after the gig and deep cleaned and polished the mpc, now looks like a Million..was a bit grimy and lightly scratched when I got it..but also well played, so I knew it was probably a good one.

I should say I had a brand new STM Link Lig/cap stashed away for it, fit the mpc perfect !! (BUT..sucked so bad it's back in the drawer)

..luckily I found an ancient thin worn brass and silverplated beautifully sculpted 2 screw lig, maybe clarinet ?? IDK..but missing a screw..

OK then I found in my junk drawer two old copper colored thumbscrew lig screws. They work really well and the rig looks like it was made for each other. Damn sometimes we get lucky.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats on the new piece and the Franken-lig!
Pretty sure it's a Link Clarinet Lig. Looks identical in the old Link Ads. Same art deco type look..It fits the the NY like glove.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,021 Posts
Hey Cash, I had a NY 7* Link for a while and man I loved the deep rich tone quality. However, it hadn't been refaced by Brian Powell and so it required just the one in a million perfect reed to play up to its potential. And with that RARE reed, it was heaven. With all the rest of the reeds, not so good. So I eventually sold it. I can only imagine how great it would have been if more reeds had played well on it. Looks like you may have a real gem there!

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is John, just perfect for my weekly Brunch gig, I can put plenty air and not blast that first table and still easily fill the place. I won't part with this one. I played a couple jobs already on it, but haven't tried any other reeds just yet (maybe today) the Legere Sig works killer and the thing seems reed adjust friendly.

I had the same prob JL with the stock NY I bought, well the tip at .115 was too much in hindsight,,But the thing drove me freakin' nuts trying to get a "friendly reed. Damn I futzed with every one. Finally traded it off. This Link feels right to me, a good tip size. My 4 working tenor tips have shrunk a bit over time. smallest is an .085 Ebolin to my .113 Vigilante. This Link is a sweet spot for sure:whistle:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts