Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
13,045 Posts
A lot of people like the Selmer 404 lig. You can just fit it and carefully bend the bottom around the ridges of the mouthpiece. I like the FL lig myself...but then again I own it and dont have to shell out more cash for a different one. The current ligs that come with them suck quite loudly. I have an older one that works pretty well. Rovners work fine too.
 

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
Joined
·
3,407 Posts
As Wayne and Garth would say, "Why yes. It certainly does pass the suck test!"

Put some cork grease on the screw threads and work it in - that will help smash the reed against the table to make up, in part, for the waviness. Also move the lig closer to the window.

Next step is to use a Rovner dark death grip.

And then if that fails... Well... There are other options.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
Is that greased up lig like an...


Iron Maiden


*Cue air guitar*
 

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
Joined
·
3,407 Posts
"no Stairway"
 

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
Joined
·
3,407 Posts
OK. Douglas has only three posts. Let's not scare him away... with an extreme close up.

wwwwwwwhoaaaaaaa
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
ez_sax said:
OK. Douglas has only three posts. Let's not scare him away... with an extreme close up.

wwwwwwwhoaaaaaaa


Wow, that must have taken a lot of time. You must be hungry. Would you like some


Creme of Sum Yung Gouy?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
13,859 Posts
allthewoodwinds said:
Just a sneak peek of a lot of pros of the past - They used the Link lig and never sounded better. (e.g. Coltrane, Mobley, Golson, etc., etc.)
The problem is that the older ligs are made to a different tolerance than the new ligs. Most of the new ones are no good.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
Joined
·
5,528 Posts
Yep. The old Florida Link ligs are steel with a gold lacquer. They hold pretty well. The newer ones are mostly brass and don't do so well.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Douglas said:
I'm using the Link STM with the lig supplied with the mouthpiece. Lots of people have noted that the Link-supplied lig doesn't look very well made. http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/cry.gif What other ligs do people like to play with the STM? (The ridge on the top of the STM makes some ligs a little awkward to position.)
I am using an Oleg #4G on my Tenor NY Link. I put a piece of clear packing tape under it (on the mouthpiece where the lig fits) to keep it from slipping- as I heard this could be a problem.It hasn't slipped on me in a year. It definitely opens the sound up and once on, requires no adjusting. I also have used the Selmer ligature which also works quite well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Ligs

Douglas said:
I'm using the Link STM with the lig supplied with the mouthpiece. Lots of people have noted that the Link-supplied lig doesn't look very well made. http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/cry.gif What other ligs do people like to play with the STM? (The ridge on the top of the STM makes some ligs a little awkward to position.)
I have no problem using the stock ligs. The Oleg and FL ligs are more difficult to use, but I use them for tone improvement and ease of blowing. Both give a brighter sound.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
Joined
·
2,761 Posts
I never noticed anything wrong with the stock lig that came on my STM but after reading the volumes of complaints and criticism the ligs seemed to attract on SOTW I figured I must be cheating myself. So I shelled out thirty bucks for a Rovner EVO-5. Results? The Rovner is cumbersome to install, more difficult to center on the reed, looks ostentatious, and makes no acoustic difference whatsoever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
shotgun said:
I never noticed anything wrong with the stock lig that came on my STM but after reading the volumes of complaints and criticism the ligs seemed to attract on SOTW I figured I must be cheating myself. So I shelled out thirty bucks for a Rovner EVO-5. Results? The Rovner is cumbersome to install, more difficult to center on the reed, looks ostentatious, and makes no acoustic difference whatsoever.
I agree! I find very little difference between the Original Rovner and the stock lig. The Oleg and the FL do improve the sound, are brighter, and are easier to blow, but are fussier to handle.

I once had Rovners on all my horns, now it remains only on clarinet. Our tastes do change overtime!
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
Joined
·
4,466 Posts
If you file the little bumps off the reed plate the new stock Link ligs will work just fine. The original Link ligs(which I prefer and use) didn't have the 4 little bumps.
No one should ever use rovner ligs-the worst pieces of junk ever created under the guise of a ligature....same for the olegs...junk! In decades of playing I have never worked with another professional saxophonist who used one of either.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
2,933 Posts
Thomas said:
No one should ever use rovner ligs-the worst pieces of junk ever created under the guise of a ligature....same for the olegs...junk! In decades of playing I have never worked with another professional saxophonist who used one of either.
In the two years that I've been acquainted with various professional musicians from around the SF bay area, I've met many who do. I like them on bright mouthpieces, but think they can kill the sound of a dark one.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
Thomas said:
If you file the little bumps off the reed plate the new stock Link ligs will work just fine. The original Link ligs(which I prefer and use) didn't have the 4 little bumps.
No one should ever use rovner ligs-the worst pieces of junk ever created under the guise of a ligature....same for the olegs...junk! In decades of playing I have never worked with another professional saxophonist who used one of either.

You ever hear of this dude named Bob Minzter? He uses an Oleg.

Ever hear of this other dude named Jamie Abersold? He uses a Rovner. (at least sometimes)

Actually I don't like Rovners either;) , but I use them out of necessity:(
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top