Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I acquired this Link STM 7* is ~1992 and it's one of my favorite mouthpieces. Just curious if someone can help date it - not interested in selling, just pure curiosity. My best guess based on Theo Wanne's site is that it's an STM USA from the '60s.

Here are some details, along with photos:
-I got it along with a 1960 Martin Magna that was a one-owner horn. Didn't ask about the mouthpiece at the time.
-It has 'Super Tone Master' stamped on the upside of the shank, and 'U.S.A.' and '7*' on the underside of the shank.
-The shank is straight and there is a single ring on either side of the lettering.
-Ligature has a 'T' stamped on the screw.
-The baffle is pretty flat and has a smooth roll.
-It has a gold wash finish. There's no wear that reveals what's underneath that.

Thanks in advance for any help!

View attachment 134522 View attachment 134530 View attachment 134538 View attachment 134546

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
That's a plan modern Link. Some of them are fine pieces, even without any vintage "mojo".
It's been made before 1994 as that's around when they removed the quotation marks around the word "Super".

The ligature, on the other side, seems quite older, probably from a Florida Link and likely worth more than the mouthpiece itself...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts