Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a metal Otto Link for Tenor after playing a Rascher for a long time. I know there's a giant difference between Rascher and pretty much everything else, but I don't really know what facing I should go for. Should I just decide entirely based on how I want to sound? (I believe more open=brighter/louder?) or should I try and get one that I will be able to adjust to in a reasonable amount of time? I'm really not sure how big the change is going to be or how difficult it will be so I thought I'd ask

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
It's going to take a while to "muscle into" the Link but I wouldn't suggest anything less than a 7. You can always start with a softer reed and work your way to harder ones as your embouchure adapts to the new piece. And remember, Links are known to be "reed fussy" so don't be afraid to try a few different strengths and brands if you think the sound is stuffy. I don't think it will take more than a few weeks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
480 Posts
Your best bet is to try quite a few in different tip openings (with corresponding different strength, never been played reeds) and find one that plays well for you. Keep in mind that you'll likely be going up in tip size- it's probably a good to not make too large of a jump.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yes, I agree with the previous posts.

Also....try a few brand new reeds on your current mpc and pick out the best of the bunch, and go to play test the Link with that reed. Don't break it in at all before trying the Link, or it will be "set" to the old mpc.

FWIW I find I have better response, and more flexibility, from a softer reed with a larger tip opening.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Your best bet is to try quite a few in different tip openings (with corresponding different strength, never been played reeds) and find one that plays well for you. Keep in mind that you'll likely be going up in tip size- it's probably a good to not make too large of a jump.
+1 I started with a #6 STM NY and it was an appropriate opening for me at the time. Get four on trial from wwbw.com (you have to telephone them, not use the online store for this service) and pick the best of the litter.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm looking to get a metal Otto Link for Tenor after playing a Rascher for a long time. I know there's a giant difference between Rascher and pretty much everything else, but I don't really know what facing I should go for. Should I just decide entirely based on how I want to sound? (I believe more open=brighter/louder?) or should I try and get one that I will be able to adjust to in a reasonable amount of time? I'm really not sure how big the change is going to be or how difficult it will be so I thought I'd ask
Any chance you have any local music stores in the area? The best bet is to go in and actually try some Links - I thought Links were for me, but apparently they werent, so you never know.

Otherwise, your best bet is what gary said - phone up wwbw and pick the Link you like best. If you don't like any THAT much, then return them and look at some other mouthpieces.

·
Registered
495 Posts
+1 to the "Softer reed, bigger tip" and "No less than 7" comments.
My experience w/ Links has been that the "outta the box" stock ones have never been as easy playing as the refaced ones.

I have 2...a Tenney STM 7 thats warm & buzzy, but...
Should I just decide entirely based on how I want to sound? (I believe more open=brighter/louder?)
...since you said this I'd recommend you search SOTW on Sakshama. I too wanted a hair more free blowing & brighter sound...JUST a hair...than the Tenney, and Sakshama sold me a "Lost Wax Florida STM" #8 that met all my needs. Kept the warmth, gave me just a smidge of edge.
In the studio last week the engineer said, "wow...nice woody sound"....

You might not wanna spend $250 right off the bat, but if you consider $125 for the stock piece and a $100 for a reface job you're damn near there anyway.
Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts