Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
That WAS interesting. Thanks for posting it.

I noted that only one player used a Meyer 6 (one of the most highly recommended alto pieces here on SOTW) on alto. And few soprano players used open tips, but I may have breezed over that too quickly.

This seems to corroborate what I've claimed for years - it doesn't matter what others use, it is what works best for YOU. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Looks like Selmer is the main choice for soprano but nobody can predict the rest. I was surprised how many Beechlers are used on alto.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If it really matters to anyone, I don't believe that chart is up to date. E.g Josh Redman is no longer using the Metal link actively, and Branford Marsalis is no longer using the Guardala.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Dave Dolson said:
I noted that only one player used a Meyer 6 (one of the most highly recommended alto pieces here on SOTW) on alto.
Lots of Meyer 5's though. And as I recall, the new Meyer 6 tip opening is close to the older Meyer 5.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
That chart's pretty old. It's been around for years.....

·
Registered
730 Posts
Denis DiBlasio isn't playing his Lawton anymore either. Seems I've seen other things on the chart that don't match up but they don't come to mind.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
You mean all those famous cats get GAS and change their gear? Nahhhh -- thought they all just found IT and stuck with it forever! lol :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,073 Posts
Judging by how often I mess with my gear, and I've been playing for a fraction of the time that, say, Gary Foster has, I can't imagine how many changes the people on that chart have made over the last few years. Those who are still with us, anyway.

Of course Phil Woods is still playing his Meyer 5. Some people really do just find it and stick with it.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
This goes without saying, but Dave Liebman no longer plays Sugal pieces, and hasn't in at least the last 5-6 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts