Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I play a TED Klum Acoustimer II which I Love. However, on my Martin it can be a little dark and lack sparkle. I added a temporary baffle with putty and I actually like the more sizzle, easier altissimo, bullet like top notes, focus I get while still keeping a classic modern sound a la Seamus Blake - so no typical High Baffle type pop sound. I‘m wondering: are there mouthpieces with these designs? What would it be? So classic meets high baffle. I know that EBs have it but not as much as I added. What else could you recommend? Berg Larssen? Jumbo Java?? I added a pic of m mod. Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would check out the 10Mfan mouthpieces. The Robusto looks a lot like that but if you have a conversation with Mark, he will guide you through the right choice of his pieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
Why not use what you have...or do you want to keep your klum as made?

I could make you something like that from one of my pieces but it would have an epoxy baffle rather than being molded.

RPC is also an epoxy baffle but it would probably work too.

Since you have found a way to get close it might be worth it to find a decent piece and just make it yourself like you have. Then you can tailor the baffle exactly as you want it. Epoxy is certainly harder to work with than putty but it can be cut, filed and sanded once dry. You have a decent amount of working time before it hardens.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
That's a lot of baffle. I think something like RPC, Saxscape Downtown, maybe a Lawton or Drake studio. The Vandoren Jumbo Java , while having a similar baffle to yours, probably doesn't have as large a chamber but still might be worth a try. Also the Java(not jumbo) might actually work for you. I have a T55 that plays and sounds good on my 58 10M.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Also, I play a johannes Gerber Vibra-Master that is an EB type piece. I find I get a decent brightness from it. He also makes an even brighter/more contemporary piece called the Vibra-Master-X. You might want to contact him about these pieces. There is more to a contemporary sound than just baffle so even though his baffle might not be as pronounced as the one you put in that Klum , you may get as bright with the Vibra-Master-X. Plus the piece will be made as it was intended and not modified. It's all about a balanced design.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Sax Alley sells Links that have been modified almost exactly like yours by Bob Carpenter. Here's one of the STMs but I'm sure you could have Tim get you a HR Link done by Bob if you prefer that; http://www.saxalley.com/otto-link-metal-tenor-mouthpiece-3257.html

There are lots of pieces that produce a sort of medium bright sound out there it's just a matter of finding one that has the right combination of attributes for you. It may be easier to find pieces that give you very close to the sound you want than finding ones that have the right feel in terms of resistance or the way they take air.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Maybe a Navarro Bop boy could work for you as well. I believe he is not making them right now, but you could find one on ebay or somewhere else.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
You’re looking for a Slant, Florida or one of the real Early Babbitt Links. You have to be careful with what people call Early Babbitt Links . It seems to be anything they decide is one. The good ones have a slim body and small font number. They may not have the dramatic drop off of the beak, but the main thing is they have a small chamber,and a nice pronounced baffle with the big drop off to the floor. Just a long flat baffle with the clamshell right after the tip. Maybe I’m nuts, but I can tell by looking at a photo of the baffle and chamber if it will work for me.
I had a “New Vintage” that had all the good qualities of a nice Early Babbitt but unfortunately it was an 8, which to me plays tubby and dark. If I could find a similar one in a 6 I bet it would play well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, what You did is actually modeling a quite long, but in the beginning not overly high baffle. That's quite a different thing compared to a raised floor. Baffle, floor, sidewalls, transitions, rails, chamber design - and their relation to each other will all have impact on sound and playability. Changing one ore more parts may give great or unwanted results - You never know before, if You're not a mouthpiece expert. Simply raising or extending a baffle might be not enough to really succeed in the best possible way. But maybe You're lucky and found a nice spot with Your handmade baffle extension. But I think really important is, that You're not completely happy with Your mouthpiece in original condition.
I think there are three options for You:
1) You play that modified mouthpiece as it is and hopefully the baffle extension will stay for a while
2) You'll find a mouthpiece master, who will make your modified mouthpiece perfect with e.g. epoxy like Morgan Fry in GB (who can make You an awesome custom mouthpiece) or Phil Engleman, who already replied.
3) You'll try some different designs, which might fit Your imagination of sound und playability better compared to Your current mouthpiece (what will be a lot of fun, but can get expensive, time-consuming and confusing ;-)). The models You already mentioned are far away from a "classic" concept (Jumbo Java cutting sound, Berg Larsen is a completely different thing.
Maybe You'll try some "Link" type models - in addition to some great Early Babbitt (which might be expensive) HR and metal pieces and really expensive Florida ones there are some contemporary made mouthpieces in that area of design - Morgan Fry (e.g. Vintage and Super Vintage, Jazz+), Philtone, Johannes Gerber, Matt Marantz, Navarro Bop Boy, Aaron Drake New York Jazz and of course some others...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts