Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this mouthpiece which is a mystery to me in a way: the "MP 7*" indicates it was refaced by one of the best German refaces who has, sadly enough, stopped his refacing-business: Jo Schnabl. I once had a Dukoff Hollywood that he had worked on, and it was absolutely top notch.
I'm talking about the tip size stamps on both sides (if I see them correctly). Underneath Joe's stamp there is a (larger font size) 6. On the other side, where you usually find the tip size stamp, I think I see a "4*" in a smaller font size that is typical of the Florida no USA period.
Could this mean the mouthpiece was refaced by Link in the Babbitt era? Did they use a stamp on the opposite side if they refaced an older Link?
I hope the pics can help. Thanks for looking and commenting.

Link Jo Schnabl 5.jpeg Link Jo Schnable 4.jpeg Link Jo Schnabl 3.jpeg Link Schnabl 2.jpeg Florida Schnabl.jpeg

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the '7*' and the ' #645" are Joe's engraving pattern. I remember them from the Dukoff he refaced. What really puzzles me is the smaller "4*" on the "correct" side and the larger "6" on the opposite side.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
TOTALLY a guess, but I'd also agree with you that it was probably refaced/opened by Link (Babbitt era) and re-stamped. Simply because I honestly can't think of any other logical explanation!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,273 Posts
Another possibility is that this is a lost-wax mouthpiece molded upon a 4* original.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,480 Posts
Another possibility is that this is a lost-wax mouthpiece molded upon a 4* original.
That's what I also thought. The rings in the shank look very faint, like in the lost-wax pieces Sakshama makes.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Great observations about it possibly being a Sakshama lost wax copy! Hopefully, Sakshama will see this and chime in!

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I doubt is a lost was. Even though these are really bad photos those things are fugly.
Well, my Sakshama 'pieces might not win any beauty contests, but they play outstanding and I have yet to have someone come up to me and say "gosh, that's not the most pretty or shiny thing you're playing on".
Just sayin'....

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,041 Posts
Great observations about it possibly being a Sakshama lost wax copy! Hopefully, Sakshama will see this and chime in!
That is definitely not my piece. I would not copy a 4* when there are more open pieces available. It seems to me it is an original that was buffed a lot and then replated.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
That is definitely not my piece. I would not copy a 4* when there are more open pieces available. It seems to me it is an original that was buffed a lot and then replated.
I too thought you copied larger (6-7 or 8) sized facings. Good point on an original being buffed to holy hell and replated. Hope you're doing well, Sakshama!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,480 Posts
That's what I also thought. The rings in the shank look very faint, like in the lost-wax pieces Sakshama makes.
I too thought you copied larger (6-7 or 8) sized facings. Good point on an original being buffed to holy hell and replated. Hope you're doing well, Sakshama!
I actually did use the words 'like Sakshama makes', it still could be a lost wax made by someone else (I wouldn't know if others use that technic anyhow).

But it could indeed also be a buffed/refaced/replated mouthpiece, difficult to conclude from those pictures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts