Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi .

I had this great idea to combine the best things i like about my mouthpieces into one piece.

i love the facings on both of my links HR and florida..especially on the HR Early babbitt for me the perfect facing .
something about the link is that it makes the intervals and the position of the notes very precise..i also like the attack it gives ... it builds op a little air and then POW!

what i like about the guardala is its power and flexibility in sound....there is also some "drama"" in the sound wich i like..
I dont like the thinning out in the palmkeys and the notes bend a lot more due to the longer facing..so not the precicion of a good link ..

Could a link facing work on a guardala type mouthpiece?

Greetz Marcus

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
sakshama has been doing some crossover work.... check him out!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
The tip and baffle and chamber matter a lot to response. The curve on your Link won't behave the same on a Guardala. This is not to say that a different curve wouldn't work better on your particular DG, that may be so, I couldn't say without seeing it. But just applying the curve on your Links to it won't have the desired effect, there are too many other factors that matter.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
only one way to find out,maybe i just let make one and see what happens ..
tx mfry

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
only one way to find out,maybe i just let make one and see what happens ..
As Morgan says, that curve probably won't have the effect you want. If you try it, you may be lucky and have something that works better for you than the current DG, or you could ruin it at worst and at best have a mouthpiece that you can only sell on for quite a bit less than you would have got if it wasn't messed with.

My gut feeling ios to look for an existing mouthpiece that fits the bill.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes you could be right maybe.. hah i still would like to try..i am not gonna mess up my links anyway..
i dont know if there is a linkish guardala on the market
tx pete

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
IDK, worst that could happen is it doesn't work and needs to be put back where it was. It's actually going to be way more trouble shortening it in the first place. If a facing is much too long and flat it's not even possible to bring it to a vintage Link type curve. Don't know exactly what curve we're talking about in this case, just speaking hypothetically.

IMO the best thing to do is take/send it to a good refacer, communicate to him what you want the piece to do, let him decide how to make it do that.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Try approaching it with non-destructive experiments to your Link. Get some temporary putty (poster hanging putty, dental wax, clay, ect) and shape a baffle in your Link that is similar to your Guardala. Try more/less to taste. If you come up with something you like, you can make or get a semi-perminant epoxy baffle of that shape. Or you can use the mouthpiece as a model for what you want made.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
Try approaching it with non-destructive experiments to your Link. Get some temporary putty (poster hanging putty, dental wax, clay, ect) and shape a baffle in your Link that is similar to your Guardala. Try more/less to taste. If you come up with something you like, you can make or get a semi-perminant epoxy baffle of that shape. Or you can use the mouthpiece as a model for what you want made.
I think this is a better idea than modding the Guardala.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts