Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, a question for the refacers out there--

How much is reasonable to open a SS berg tenor piece? I have a feeling some would say nothing is reasonable, as tough as I believe those are to work on. Anyhow, I was curious if it is possible to open up something from a 95/2 to 110, or if that is too much of a stretch. I played a great "very vintage" 95/2 offset M piece recently, only problem was the size. Of course, I would be curious to know if its just not worth the trouble also...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,703 Posts
The limits of refacing are set by several things. The table relationship to the tip and the actual curve. Both of these can be changed. However, adjusting the table angle on a stanless piece is more than most would want to be bothered with. The curve can be increased but then the tip thins out. If the tip is already thin it will limit the refacer considerably. What your asking is possible...but it depends on your specific mpc. Its a pretty safe bet to say you can go from 95 to 105...though not out of the question for 110...but then again...how thin is it and how thin will you tollerate.....and how much will you spend for someone to grind away relentlessly at hard metal :)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks--this was probably mostly a hypothetical question, this piece plays really well--the rails and tip are really symmetrical, its pretty cool after having seen so many terrible looking modern bergs; I think with this one its probably best to leave it as is and maybe have it checked to see if any small adjustments need to be made, and let someone play it who would enjoy the smaller opening...

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
For me, it takes a full in-hand assessment to determine what the limit is for opening up a piece. Pictures sometimes help, but there's a lot that pictures don't catch that play into it.

If the table is shot or the curve is lousy, that has to be taken into consideration. If the curve is too flat and you have to introduce a curve into the facing, that affects the strategy as well.

I've seen very few (if any) original pieces that couldn't be opened .010-.015". I've taken STM 4*'s and cranked them open into 8*'s, though I don't feel that's generally advised.

·
Registered
18 Posts
EZ, I have a Berg Metal that I got new back in the late seventies that seems to be a little different that anything produces today in that the beak is relatively flat and then ramps upward at the top, not gradually like a duckbill. It is also marked as a 85/3 M which I have never seen a Tenor Berg with a smaller opening than 90. Do you know what model it might be and should I bother atempting to modify it. I'm playing on a newer Berg 100/1 that supposedly you opened up to a 105 ( so I was told by the seller) and I like it but am looking for more opening.

·
3,406 Posts
Even if there was enough room to open it up, I wouldn't recommend taking an 85 piece up to 105+ Especially if it's stainless - I don't think I could accept the task as refacing stainless is grueling work if big tip opening changes are involved. Would be better to find one closer to the tip opening you are looking for and dial it in from there.

The beak sounds interesting - can you share a picture?

·
3,406 Posts
At first glance, it looks like it could be opened a bit. Scoop bill. Maybe a fat body - easier to tell with a reed mounted to it.

Sure has some heavy machine marks on it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll try it again tomorrow with a reed on it. I've had it since High School and bought it new so I doubt it's been opened up. It definately has a wider beak and heavier that my new Berg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts