Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a thread like this a while back but I can't seem to find it now. Well basically I can't seem to find a ligature that'll fit my piece well. The closest thing is a Rovner Dark, and that's after I tighten the damn thing so far it won't tighten anymore. I have tried a regular 2 screw, Vandoren Optimum, Selmer Single screw, and they are all too loose especially in the front. So any ideas?, I know Marc Jean makes them custom sized to a piece but I'm not sure I want to spend a fortune getting it custom sized so, I'm just wondering what do you guys use.

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why don't you ask Aaron Drake? He should know..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Steve,
I did ask Aaron, but he said the majority of alto ligs should fit but they don't really fit well because of the taper on the body of the pieces.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Try a Bonade clarinet lig.
It worked on mine.

Cant seem to get the John Candy, "shower curtain ring" lig to work...on the alto or the Drake tenor piece I have.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yeah the Drake mouthpieces play very well but have a slight taper and some ligs tighten more on the bottom part of the reed. I used a winslow lig. on a soprano mpc. and a Bg tradition brass lig. The rovners fit well but need to get a small one maybe, I tried a rovner 2M on a friends' soprano mpc. which is for a metal mouthpiece and it fit ok. Good luck and take care.

sent from Mikey's Super Inspire 4G

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Selmer "Magnatone" or Bogani copy will work as will the Olegiture. The Brancher "Opera" lig also works well. The Rico "H" lig for clarinet may also be a good choice.
Hey Andy,
Did these fit for you on Alto? I did try the Oleg but the front of the lig just wouldn't touch the top of the piece. I'll try out a Rico H since they're easy to come by, and I'll look online for the Brancher. I have one of the Borgani pieces I'll try it out tomorrow.

·
3,875 Posts
The Rovner has been the best solution for me. I have a Dark and a MKIII. My FL Ultimate ligature kind of fits, but only at the very back of the piece.

The Rico "H" clarinet ligature does fit. I haven't tried it yet but it fits.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,904 Posts
I have a lot of experience with extra tapered mouthpieces. What I found is that many of the slide on ligs (Oleg, Borgani) appear to fit at first, but due to the taper they don't hold on as well as they do on less tapered pieces, e.g. if you need to adjust the mouthpiece on the cork, the reed moves a bit or they come off, even if previously they were holding the reed OK.

The same thing can apply to the pressure plate type such as FL or Fortissimo. They are fine until you need to move the mouthpiece on the cork.

On tenor pieces with a large taper I found that hunting around eventually found the perfect thing, a Faxx "Slim Bari" (I think that is a copy of a Rovner), so I imagine there is something similar for tapered alto if you hunt around.

HOWEVER:

What works extremely well is to just get the nearest 2 screw or Rovner that is slightly too large at the front, and glue a cardboard, cork or leather shim into the inside of the lig. I did this for years with a Selmer lig on an Otto Link Slant baritone piece. Some people think that actually improves the sound (well of course, it does improve the sound over a lio that is too loose anyway!)

Another thing I found is that some Rovners seem to be the right size, but won't adapt to the taper. I found that by drilling out the hole each side that the screw goes though, the ligature follows the taper much better at the front. Again my experience is with tenor, but it really works.

You can see the difference here, before and after using a 4mm drill to make the hole slightly larger:

This doesn't alter the effectiveness of the screw, as these holes are unthreaded, the screw tightens into the nut, however it's likely that doing this would void any warrantee.

This works well on the platinum (as in the image above), probably on the Star, but I'm not so sure about the ligs where the fabric wraps round the clamping bars.

EDIT:

One more thing:

Aaron told me he is working on an adjustable ceramic lig.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Lately I've using the original lig that came with the mpc, the napkin ring like, and it's nice... on the bright side, very responsive. The big con: it doesn't allow to move the mpc freely on your neck, if your cork is somewhat tight, attempting to move your mpc in or out during a gig, you'll probably end with the reed twisted and the lig out, or something like that.

The Rovner Dark (old one) I have seems to do the work pretty well, I used it in the beginning, until I get comfortable with the other one. My 0,002.

·
Registered
Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bari and Flute, if you bend my arm > Clarinet
1,127 Posts
I answered the same question in the thread you were looking for. A Ricco "H" lig for Eb soprano clarinet works perfectly.

·
Registered
Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bari and Flute, if you bend my arm > Clarinet
1,127 Posts
btw.. I agree it is a killer mpc that nobody seems to talk about...

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Go for the Marc Jean! You won't believe how great the combo sounds. The Drake is really an incredible mpc, one of the very best I have tried, especially if you're into that Cannonball, Phil Woods kind of vibe.

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks guys, for now my Eddie Daniels II seem to fit the mouthpiece nice and tight so that's what I'm going to use for now. In the future I do hope to get a Marc Jean fit for this piece, but right now the Rovner is doing it's job.

Oh I did try using Aaron's ligature today and I sounded super tubby on it. I thought it was the mouthpieces fault, but when I actually put on a ligature that fit man, this piece is killer. No doubt, it's Fat, I mean really fat! and the sound just projects like no tomorrow. My regular Rico Jazz Select unfilled 3H where to soft so I'll go to the store and buy a couple of 4S to see were things go from there. But yeah this is such a great piece! wonder why no ones playing it?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Theo Wanne's alto lig fits the Drake alto piece well,and it's a great lig,as is the Drake a great alto piece.I picked mine up out of the mail box on the way to a gig,I played the gig on it without a warm up,it's easy to play,has very good response and a tone with a nice mix of body and vibrancy .I got the .80 which is quite powerful,but not too broad,I like an alto sound to cook, this piece can do that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Reviving this thread: does anyone difinitively know if the Rico H Lig for Bb clarinet fits the Drake NY Jazz Alto? I see comments above specifically for the Eb clarinet lig, but it only comes in silver and I'd very much prefer gold.

·
Registered
118 Posts
does anyone difinitively know if the Rico H Lig for Bb clarinet fits the Drake NY Jazz Alto?

I took a chance and ordered one, and the answer is yes. The Bb clarinet Rico H ligature works very well with the Drake NY Jazz Alto mpc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts