Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I just got a sax here with a strange problem (or not a problem). It is not a great sax and with a light touch it has leaks. The thing is, with every other sax I remember that had leaks with a light touch, those leaks disapeared when pressing strong on the key. With this sax, pressing strong still leaves a tiny line of light that is only visible in almost completely dark. If I press the key even harder, and I see the key move, that line of light is still there. It is like this on almost every key, but not always all the way around. I checked the tone hole edge and it is smooth. I chekced the pads and they don't seem to be rough (though this would probably not matter if I pressed so hard). I'm guessing maybe the pads are less light proof than other pads, maybe because of their colour or maybe so porous but the saxophone actually plays great. Every note including all the low notes pop out very easy.

Ha...? :)

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Baaah..... Yes... Lacquer is transparent.... I actually noticed it looked like it has lacquer on the tone holes but somehow didn't think that could be the problem... I think this calls for this smilie... :banghead:

Thanks Curt! :)

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I find it a nuisance when adjusting student Yamahas.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
Music medic is right on the mark, it took me a while to figure this out when I first experienced a similar situation, you can remove the laquer or do you leave it if its playing well, how long will it take for the laquer to wear off and cause problems?

·
17,204 Posts
Likewise me.

·
17,204 Posts
For sure. It adds to the height of the chimney.

However that effect is so small as to be irrelevant. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts