Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for good ligatures for my clarinet, bass clarinet, and especially my tenor sax.

Any recomendations for ligatures?

Also, what should you look for in a good ligature?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
On the same subject, I find my Rovner Dark doesn't hold the reed as firmly as I'd like.... what else could I use on a JJDV which wouldn't damage the gold-plate?

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
rogerb40uk said:
On the same subject, I find my Rovner Dark doesn't hold the reed as firmly as I'd like.... what else could I use on a JJDV which wouldn't damage the gold-plate?
There are charts at saxophones.co.uk which specify which rovner lig fits what m/p (under Rovner ligs) it sounds like your rovner dark could be too slack (ie too much material). you should be able to tighten it so the reed is held absolutely firmly (firmer than any metal lig) hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Clarinetdude108 said:
I have been looking for good ligatures for my clarinet, bass clarinet, and especially my tenor sax.

Any recomendations for ligatures?

Also, what should you look for in a good ligature?

Check out the BG ligs. Great for clarinet and bass clarinet. Thay have some for Tenor but you have to be exact on size if your MP is metal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
sod9728 said:
On this topic, has anyone tried a Vandoren Optimum? Are they good?
:bounce: :cheers: :blob:

Seriously, use the SEARCH FUNCTION...

Yeah, we've tried 'em. :shock:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
"Robert Vinson"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
There are charts at saxophones.co.uk which specify which rovner lig fits what m/p (under Rovner ligs) it sounds like your rovner dark could be too slack (ie too much material). you should be able to tighten it so the reed is held absolutely firmly (firmer than any metal lig) hope that helps.
It's the one which came with the DV, so maybe I'm not screwin' it down enough!

Where do you position the 'bottom edge' of the lig in relation to the end of the reed?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I usually put the rovner down as far as I can with out the 'bottom edge' passing the end of the reed...not really picky about that...but I tighten the lig down pretty tight...

·
Registered
239 Posts
:cool: On the tenor JJDV, putting the lig 1/8 of an inch from the reed end, works well for me. It does tighten down quite well also. If your DV is an older one the lig might be streched and need replaced. The vandoren Optimum lig works great on almost every mouthpiece I have tried it on, with one exception. I have an Alto Morgan #8, my main piece, were a rovner dark works better.:cool:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Check out Francios Lois ligatures. You will hear color in your sound that you never knew was there. make sure you get the right one for your mpc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Vandoren Optimum is an awesome ligature!!, I was initially a skeptic believing that any old standard ligature wouldnt make much different in tone, but it was so wrong its not funny. It freed the upper register in terms of resistance and just allows you to play freely

·
Registered
622 Posts
Bonade ligatures work well and are pretty cheap for clarinet and bass clarinet especially the inverted. francois louis and vandoren optimums work great for tenor

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,505 Posts
I use a Rovner & optimum for clarinet. Both are quick and easy to use - and you have those 3 plates for the clarinet. I normally use the one plate with a top and bottom horizontal bar. The rovner is also good but seems to deaden the sound ever so slightly.

keep the lig just below the ligature mark (or between if you have two of them) - which is the cut /line/ mark in the mpc that goes around it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Luyben clarinet ligs are amazingly good, and amazingly cheap. The reed absolutely will not slip if you use a Luyben. In a metal lig, I agree on Bonade. The only drawback is that you will probably need to bend it into shape to get the full benefit.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
retread said:
Luyben clarinet ligs are amazingly good, and amazingly cheap. The reed absolutely will not slip if you use a Luyben. In a metal lig, I agree on Bonade. The only drawback is that you will probably need to bend it into shape to get the full benefit.
On clarinet, my favorite one is the Luyben. Secure, and it gives the reed freedom to vibrate.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
The Luyben is very effective and can't be beat for value.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I dont know who said BG, but...

For a beginner to intermediate looking for a step-up from a stock ligature, the BGs are a nice vanilla way to go. Much improved tone, stability, and all that but still "neutral" enough to allow your embochure to develop more naturally than playing a more specialized lig (which is intended for pro's looking for a very specific sound/feel).

That and I couldn't fathom spending hundreds on a ligature when the other night I lost mine and had to use rubber bands. It went fine. The BGs I think are between 40 and 80 bucks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts