Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there (or was there) a ligature that allowed the reed position to be adjusted in/out without opening the main screws?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i like my 1 screws,because its just a turn of 1 screw

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
The engineer in me says you can't seal the reed tightly to the table if you can move it without loosening it.

The saxophonist in me wonders why? Do you need to adjust the reed position frequently when you play?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I can't say i have heard of such a thing. I like 1 screw ligatures because it is easy to adjust the reed.

·
Registered
1926 Buescher TT Alto, 1936 Holton Revelation Tenor, 1954 Holton 271 Bari
297 Posts
There's the Robert Vinson Equa-Tone ligature. It's made of a synthetic material that can be taken off and put on without adjusting the top screw.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,586 Posts
I don't think anyone ever made one like that. If they did it must not have been very popular.
Anyway, after putting a reed on about a million times you know where it has to go and no further adjustments are needed.
At least that's the rumour I've heard...

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,681 Posts
Anyway, after putting a reed on about a million times you know where it has to go and no further adjustments are needed.
At least that's the rumour I've heard...
bandmommy, I think I heard that rumour going around somewhere. It's just a rumour, but who knows, maybe there's some truth in it...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know how rumors are, if you circulate them long enough, they become the status quo...

Anyway, my questions as OP came from a place of curiosity: what "innovations" have already been done with ligatures? A ligature that can tilt the reed to effectively change the tip opening? One that can slide it in or out? I love discovering the various ways in which people have been creative and original, even if for reasons that do not make sense to all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,261 Posts
I think the best you can hope for is something like the ligature on the Lawton which stays in place unless you shove it. (The mouthpiece has two grovves which the lig slides into firmly.) You can slacken and adjust the reed without the lig poistion moving.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,681 Posts
what "innovations" have already been done with ligatures?.
By far the most important innovation for ligatures happened a long, long time ago. Whenever it was someone figured out a design that would hold the reed on firmly, using a couple of screws to tighten and loosen the lig. Everything done to ligs since then is pretty irrelevant, and certainly not innovative or necessary (except to get sax players to pay more $$$ for them).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts