Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that people put their ligature upside down, for example,
a FL ultimate lig, instead of the plate on the reed, but on the backside of the mouthpiece?
I don't know, I've seen some 2 screwed ligature placed upside down as well,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lkcan0X5VA
Like how he does to his ligature.

But do people actually do this, and why?

When I tried this with my FL Ultimate Lig, I had a hard time keeping my reed on the mouthpiece lol.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
Some ligs are designed to be played with the screws on top. I much prefer the screws underneath. I doubt if it makes any difference in tone.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I believe it mostly stems from the Rascherian school of thought. Mainly, Sigurd Rascher did it because his "reed worked better for him with the screws on the top". And it trickled down from him, his students, and people copying him.

·
2,077 Posts
Try adjusting a lig while playing if the scews are ontop and facing to the left .... can't do it except with your left hand ... hope you have alot of C#'s ...

·
1,596 Posts
I heard that people put their ligature upside down, for example,
a FL ultimate lig, instead of the plate on the reed, but on the backside of the mouthpiece?
I don't know, I've seen some 2 screwed ligature placed upside down as well,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lkcan0X5VA
Like how he does to his ligature.

But do people actually do this, and why?

When I tried this with my FL Ultimate Lig, I had a hard time keeping my reed on the mouthpiece lol.
I'm pretty sure the guy on the clip is using a Rico H ligature which is designed inverted(made for the screws to go on top)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,003 Posts
Try adjusting a lig while playing if the scews are ontop and facing to the left .... can't do it except with your left hand ... hope you have alot of C#'s ...
Yes, that's the problem with using a lig in a way it's not designed to be used. So a 'standard' 2-screw is best used with the screws on the bottom. OTOH, with a lig designed to have the screws on top, as whaler points out, the top screws will be adjustable on the right hand side.

To answer chunsoo, I'd just use the lig the way it's designed to be used, assuming it fits properly (which is the important thing). You certainly don't want to invert a FL lig!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
At least-on the Selmer 2 screw ligs, if you wanted to use it upside down(I don't know why you would) the screws go in from either side so--just turn them around.

·
2,077 Posts
At least-on the Selmer 2 screw ligs, if you wanted to use it upside down(I don't know why you would) the screws go in from either side so--just turn them around.
You sure about that? Mine dont, the screw does not thread on both sides. lets face it, kids wanna have the scews on top cuz it looks cool ...

·
4,466 Posts
Yes,I'm sure. I double checked before I opened my yap.

·
2,077 Posts
Well, I'm holding mine in my hand and that doesn't apply. So clearly not all Selmer 2 screw ligs do that ... just sayin' ....

·
14,268 Posts
I just tried to enter the two screws from the opposite side on a silver Selmer two-screw ligature for alto. The screws bit on the first side (normally the opposite side) but didn't bite on the second side (normally the first side). Same with a lacquered brass Selmer lig.

They work this way . . . the screw enter through first side without biting the threads. Then, the screw bites the opposite side, drawing the two sides together and allowing the thicker part of the screw to enter the first side without interference with the threads. DAVE

·
4,466 Posts
Well, I'm holding mine in my hand and that doesn't apply. So clearly not all Selmer 2 screw ligs do that ... just sayin' ....
I just checked all 4 of my Selmer 2 screw ligs,2 for HR tenor, 2 for HR soprano-just to make sure-again and they are all functional with the screws in for the upside down position. I don't know if it makes a difference but these are 35>maybe 40 years old. Anyway-it's an exercise in foolishness as there's nothing to be gained by doing it. I do have a lig for tenor(HR) made by Bay that is made to be used with the screws on top. It's well made but very delicate and if one believes that ligs made some enhancement the Bay is superior to the Marc Jean-that I bought, used briefly then sold onward.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
I do use my ligs the way they are supposed to. But I prefer those with the screw(s) on top, they don't mark the reeds. As I play mostly synthetic ones, I keep them much longer than cane.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts