Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some experience-based advice on a ligature for a Vandoren Optimum Soprano mouthpiece (the one I have is an SL3, but I suspect that a ligature that works with another Optimum Soprano piece will work on an SL3). The problem is that this piece is considerably larger in circumference than other hard-rubber, classical pieces (e.g., Selmer S80). I have a soprano Rovner Dark ligature, and while I can open the ligature as far as is possible and get it on the Optimum piece with a reed in place, it is a very tight fit, and it is quite difficult to adjust the reed. Far more difficult than is reasonable.

I looked around on the web, and found a YouTube video in which three ligatures were compared on the Optimum SL3. One (I forget what it was) was noted as being a tight fit on the piece, but no mention of this was made for the others. One of the others was the Rovner Mk III, so I ordered one of those. It was no better than the Rovner Dark as far as fitting the mouthpiece.

In my search for info on this I saw one comment that Vandoren ligatures were also small on these pieces. Bummer.

So, my question, for users of Vandoren Optimum soprano mouthpieces, is, do you have a ligature that fits these pieces "comfortably," allowing easy adjustment of the reed once the reed and ligature are in place?

Thanks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I use a Vandoren Optimum ligature on my Optimum soprano mouthpiece and it's fine.

I find that Rovner Dark is tight but OK.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I have an SL3 and have not experienced any ligature-fit issues with it. I use an Optimum ligature, a Selmer metal two-screw lig, and several Rovners (including their Eddie Daniels II model) on it, all of which work.

Yes, the outside circumference of the SL3 seems to be unusual compared to my other sopranos pieces (and that would be many) in that it is smaller near the vamp and expands MUCH more radically toward the bottom. I need to open the Selmer ligature more than I do on other mouthpieces, but that's okay. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
I have used this mouthpiece with his own ligature and a rovner. I may have also tried to fit a Brancher ligature on it at some stage but I am unsure about it.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, all. I will look into an Optimum lig. It makes sense that it would work, but I read somewhere that someone (real specific!) had problems with that combo.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
This is an easy question. The Vandoren M|O ligature fits the Optimum mouthpiece perfectly. The two were basically designed for each other. The M|O is also the easiest-to-use lig on the market, at least in my experience.

·
Banned
45 Posts
This is an easy question. The Vandoren M|O ligature fits the Optimum mouthpiece perfectly. The two were basically designed for each other. The M|O is also the easiest-to-use lig on the market, at least in my experience.

this. love the m|o ligs. but they need to make a tenor metal one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I also use the Optimum SL3 and I've had the same issue with finding ligatures. The screw from the Rovner Dark and Mark III acutally scraped the back of the mouthpiece. I've found using both the Vandoren M/O and the Rico H Ligatures to fit well. I think the M/O is easier to work with because it's only one screw. I don't detect any differences in response or sound from these ligatures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts