Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a more appropriate ligature for my Morgan 7L alto piece. Rico H I'm using is too big and must be tightened all the way (I must say I'm rather unimpressed by the H-ligs anyway...). I love the way the piece plays, but I have trouble keeping the reed where I want it.

I know a Rovner could work - but what else are people using?

·
Registered
865 Posts
If memory serves me correctly (!), it worked great with a Rovner ligature for clarinet...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I have a Morgan-Bilger HR piece for alto . . . probably similar outside dimension. I use a standard Selmer metal two-screw lig. I also have a Rovner Eddie Daniels II that fits and seems to give a similar sound as the Selmer, but I still prefer the stock Selmer ligs. DAVE

·
Registered
610 Posts
if it's just a morgan jazz 7L then any normal alto lig will work, it's only the excaliburs that have a smaller body and require a clarinet lig - I have both a 7L and a 5E and those are the ligs that fit fine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
if it's just a morgan jazz 7L then any normal alto lig will work, it's only the excaliburs that have a smaller body and require a clarinet lig - I have both a 7L and a 5E and those are the ligs that fit fine.
I actually find that the bodies of the Morgan Jazz series smaller than your typical hard rubber alto mouthpiece. I was using a FL Ultimate XL for Alto and it fit perfectly. And if you can go to a store and try a Vandoren Leather Ligature for Clarinet, I personally think it response like a good FL without the hassle.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've been using the small 1s Olegature that fits alto sax/clarinet. Works great.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Like JackLi says, the Francois Louis Ultimate in alto XL size fits perfectly, and is my favorite. It's fragile, though, and should be taken off when putting the mpc on the neck or moving it up or down the cork for tuning, unless the cork to mpc fit is on the loose side, and you can move it quite easily. The cap is also easy to dislodge, and can't be trusted to protect the reed and mouthpiece. You can't put it in your pocket and expect it to stay on the mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
I used to use a Bay medium or small, but they are difficult to find. A plastic Luyben ligature (for clarinet) fits nicely and is very good.

·
Registered
454 Posts
what about a Jewel fabric ligature? it costs about 10 bucks and is similar to a rovner, just a little smaller

1 - 12 of 12 Posts