Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
What's wrong with a Selmer stock lig that is made to match up with the mpc? Or don't they make one?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,925 Posts
It doesnt come with that mpc Gary. But seriously, a basic 2 screw lig serves most people just fine.

If you wanna spend money "because ya can" try a Rovner dark or for a little more a Vandoren Optimum, those are the most popular!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,266 Posts
Any lig that works for jazz will work for classical, in my experience. I've never found a lig that influenced the sound so much that it made it unsuitable for any particular situation.

·
14,959 Posts
The BG super revelation is a nice match for selmer soprano pieces.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I know a lot of people use them, but I can't get rovners to hold the reed well enough for my taste. Any little jostling movements throws it off. That's why I either use a stock selmer 404 or a Bonnade.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
I agree with Dirty. Any ligature that gives you clarity of tone and (importantly) good response and projection are fine for any style of music.

That said, I have not had good experiences with Rovner ligatures. I tried all of the Rovner models and found that they dampened my sound. The Dark ligature was the worst offender. There are much better ways to get a dark sound -- such as using a large chamber mouthpiece and thick cut classically-oriented reeds.

I don't know if a Vandoren Klassik string clarinet ligature will fit a soprano sax mouthpiece....it might be too large. But if it does, it could be absolutely amazing in what it does to the resonance of your sound and amount of projection.

Good luck!

Roger

·
4,147 Posts
I use the standard 2 screw on my alto, and it works great. I use an optimum on my soprano, and love that too, although I am sure the stock would work fine too.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
Am I the only one that gets confused as to which is the 'optimum' and the 'ultimate' model/brand ligature?

·
Registered
137 Posts
hakukani said:
I know a lot of people use them, but I can't get rovners to hold the reed well enough for my taste. Any little jostling movements throws it off. That's why I either use a stock selmer 404 or a Bonnade.
Just curious...are you using the regular or inverted Bonade? I have an inverted one and it doesn't like to stay on...

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
SpeckledLemon said:
Just curious...are you using the regular or inverted Bonade? I have an inverted one and it doesn't like to stay on...
I have the regular. I bought it from Bob Black at a regional NASA convention in '75. I'm not even sure they had an inverted one then.

·
3,266 Posts
SpeckledLemon said:
Put a thin mouthpiece patch on the top of your mouthpiece. It will keep the ligature from sliding, and has the added benefit of preventing scratches.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've come to use Bonades on almost all my saxes. Not over priced, sturdy and those two little ridges seem to allow the reed some freedom to vibrate and give a clear tone. I think the Rovner Dark muffles the reeds some.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts