Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I recently bought few mouthpieces and I need some suggestions to suitable ligatures. There is not any near shop to try them.
The mouthpieces are:
- Saxscape Florida prototype Slim body
- Lebayle LRII metal (similar body to the saxscape)
- Warburton LA (wider body than both)

I am now using a stock otto link metal ligature for saxscape and lebayle and an alto stock lig for the warburton. I read few posts here and there and noticed that most people are using rovner with the warbuton and different type of ligs for lebayle and saxscape. (the BG jazz that came with the lebayle is not working with any of them, too loose to hold the reed)

So now I am thinking of getting rovner lig either the light or the platinum.
I have few questions if anyone owned these pieces before:
- Do you know what size is good for the weburton LA, lebayle/saxscape?
- Do I need to buy 2 sizes or 1 size can fit all three mouthpieces?
- I already have rovner MKIII and Versa and they somehow dampen the sound abit, is the platinum also the same?
- Do you have any suggestions for other ligatures that might fit all three mpcs without dampening the sound. I already have a FL lig for HR tenor and I really like the sound compared to the rovner, more edge/clarity. But its a bit expensive and I dont want to buy 2 cz I dont think one size will fit both.

I really appreciate any suggestions regarding the subject.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
581 Posts
The FL ultimate works on a link, so if you are using a link lig on the Saxscape the FL ought to work also. It probably won't fit your Warburton if it is wider. The Vandoren Optimum for metal V16 tenor works for bigger pieces I think.

The good thing about ligs is that you can buy them used off ebay for cheap and they work exactly the same as new ones.

Worth mentioning there are Rico/Rico H ligs made specifically for metal links, you can probably find one for really cheap and it wouldn't kill your budget if you needed a different lig for your other pieces.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My FL ultimate is XL size (for regular tenor HR), I also have a XL alto FL, neither one fit any of these mpcs. I am thinking of buying the Rovner platinum P3ML I think it will fit the three mpcs and maybe get the rico h lig.
Anyone has the rovner platinum? or knows how it compares to the rovner light/versa/MKIII or even the FL? Does it also deaden the sound a tiny bit?

·
Registered
125 Posts
What about the Rovner Versa? I liked it a lot on my Link STM.

Rico H, as mentioned above, is a great lig. Love it on my te or HR pieces.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I think Im going to try the 404, I read that it fits the warburton and the lebayle (steveneff site) and maybe Ill get a rovner also (platinum/light/versa). The selmer 404 has great reviews also its only 35$.
I did not consider a Theo Wanne Enlightened Ligature mainly because its price. (89$ is bit too much for me for a ligature).
Thanks for the suggestions

1 - 8 of 8 Posts