Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
The D'Addario (Rico) H ligature would have been the ligature used in the design phase of their mouthpieces. Full disclosure, I'm a D'Addario performing artist. I was there for beta testing on the select jazz mouthpieces, and I think the H Ligature plays great on just about any mouthpiece, especially at that price point. I recently ordered the Rico (student lig), which is half the price of the H lig, just to check it out and see if it was a viable option for my younger students. I thought that it also played great, but not as rich of a sound as the H. It's also an inverted ligature. I play Woodstone/Ishimori ligatures now of most of my saxophones, but I have h ligatures as back ups as well. And, sometimes they just line up better with certain reeds. They are great.

·
Registered
102 Posts
FWIW, an alternative data point: I have 3 mouthpieces that I use with that ligature (2 altos + 1 soprano) and I've never seen the "legs" bend, nor have I had any other issues with them. They are heavily reinforced at the "H". Bending under normal use seems extremely unlikely.
I would agree with mmichel on this. I had one Rico H lig on which the solder broke, but only after many years of use. The original Harrson ligatures, although awesome, were more susceptible to damage, but the Rico/D'Addario hold up very well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The optimum fits the D'Addario mouthpieces like a charm for me. Which is nice because it's too small for most mouthpieces that I've tried. I really like those ligatures when they fit, though!
That's true, and the optimum is a good option as well. I bounce back and forth between the H-Lig and optimum on my clarinet set up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts