Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase the D’Addario Woodwinds Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece 6M or 7M. Ligature doesn't seem to be included with this mouthpiece. Any ligature recommendation on this mouthpiece?

Font Art Artifact Metal Fashion accessory

·
Registered
102 Posts
The D'Addario (Rico) H ligature would have been the ligature used in the design phase of their mouthpieces. Full disclosure, I'm a D'Addario performing artist. I was there for beta testing on the select jazz mouthpieces, and I think the H Ligature plays great on just about any mouthpiece, especially at that price point. I recently ordered the Rico (student lig), which is half the price of the H lig, just to check it out and see if it was a viable option for my younger students. I thought that it also played great, but not as rich of a sound as the H. It's also an inverted ligature. I play Woodstone/Ishimori ligatures now of most of my saxophones, but I have h ligatures as back ups as well. And, sometimes they just line up better with certain reeds. They are great.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
I have one mouthpiece with that H style mouthpiece and I hate it. By the time you get it tight enough that the reed doesn't slip when you tune, you can feel the little legs being spread apart past their yield point. It's a mechanically deeply deficient design the way it depends on the yield strength of brass to resist that enormous bending stress on the legs.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
3,163 Posts
I have one mouthpiece with that H style mouthpiece and I hate it. By the time you get it tight enough that the reed doesn't slip when you tune, you can feel the little legs being spread apart past their yield point. It's a mechanically deeply deficient design the way it depends on the yield strength of brass to resist that enormous bending stress on the legs.
FWIW, an alternative data point: I have 3 mouthpieces that I use with that ligature (2 altos + 1 soprano) and I've never seen the "legs" bend, nor have I had any other issues with them. They are heavily reinforced at the "H". Bending under normal use seems extremely unlikely.

·
Registered
102 Posts
FWIW, an alternative data point: I have 3 mouthpieces that I use with that ligature (2 altos + 1 soprano) and I've never seen the "legs" bend, nor have I had any other issues with them. They are heavily reinforced at the "H". Bending under normal use seems extremely unlikely.
I would agree with mmichel on this. I had one Rico H lig on which the solder broke, but only after many years of use. The original Harrson ligatures, although awesome, were more susceptible to damage, but the Rico/D'Addario hold up very well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,510 Posts
The optimum fits the D'Addario mouthpieces like a charm for me. Which is nice because it's too small for most mouthpieces that I've tried. I really like those ligatures when they fit, though!

·
Registered
102 Posts
The optimum fits the D'Addario mouthpieces like a charm for me. Which is nice because it's too small for most mouthpieces that I've tried. I really like those ligatures when they fit, though!
That's true, and the optimum is a good option as well. I bounce back and forth between the H-Lig and optimum on my clarinet set up.

·
Registered
Selmer SA80 Series II tenor
11 Posts
Like most of the folks above, I found that the H ligature and the Select Jazz worked well together. I passed my Select Jazz on to a friend who was getting back into playing as it wasn’t quite right for me, but that’s neither here nor there.

·
Registered
Alto, Soprano and Tenor
28 Posts
I'm very happy with a ZAC ligature with metal resonator!
I play on a DSJ8 on tenor with LaVoz M

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
I use a Vandoren M/O with my DSJ 7 tenor. It only has one screw, which makes it much quicker to adjust than a standard two-screw lig, IMHO.

The DSJ is a really great piece, btw. It's not unlike my Klum Acoustimer, but with a bit more edge. Plus the bowling ball marbling is stylin'.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts