Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new mouthpiece, and think I have decided for now on a Beechler Diamond Inlay s6s. Does anyone have any good reccomendations on a ligature that would work well with this mouthpiece?

Thanks!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Bill: If your experience with the Beechler is anything some of us have had, then I'd recommend a Rovner-style lig to dampen the brilliance. I have a Beechler Diamond Inlay - a real paint-peeler for me.

I use Rovners of various styles when I feel a mouthpiece is just TOO bright and powerful or when the room is really LIVE. DAVE

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Dave - I have yet to have any experience with a beechler yet, but seems it may be a happy medium for me between my Meyer and Dukoff. So many choices.......my head starts to hurt.lol....I wnat something right in between the 2.

I've always used the bonnade or vandoren ligs SO i figured I'd hit this forum to see what others have used.

I really appreciate the help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
Everybody knows that I love to hand tie string ligatures because;
1. It's fun
2. The reed is free to really vibrate!
3. It doesn't cost $275.00
4. It looks cool
5. No one else does it (to my knowledge)
6. The reed can be removed and reinstalled faster than a regular ligature
7. Different colors
8. Different number of loops create different nodes
9. Putting the string over the very end of the reed opens up the sound!

·
Registered
237 Posts
hey king,
do you think you could tell me how to make a string ligature?
ive always wanted to try one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
Clarinetdude108 said:
hey king,
do you think you could tell me how to make a string ligature?
ive always wanted to try one.
Here's a link to where the "King" explains the string lig thing:
http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64438
FWIW, string ligs don't work for me, so this is no endorsement. But everybody's different and KK knows the string thing......daryl

·
Registered
17 Posts
can someone help me out?

the FL ultimate ligature.

which would be more sutiable for classical music? looking for the darkest sound possible. btw im playing on a reference 54 alto

gold silver or brass.

ps. any combinations you know with the plates, mouthpieces, or reeds would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Any of the FL ligatures will work...really! The sound is coming from you. Trust me, I've used two screw, Vandoren Optimum, FL lig, and Olegature and it doesn't do much sound wise...

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks it sounds like Im covered I have the Rovner L6, Bonnade, and a Vandoren master so once I decide on a mouthpiece I will see which one suits it best. I played a Vandoren Jumbo Java A45 last week and loved it so I am going to try out a couple of beechlers soon and see which I prefer. prob try the s6s,s7s and maybe a beelite 7. Then my quest should be complete.

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts