Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my new Bari Gold mouthpiece I'm using on my soprano. I'm used to Rovner ligatures and have gotten the best results from my playing with them as opposed to regular metal ligs. My soprano Rover lig is too big to fit the Bari Gold though. Mysteriously, the Rovner website doesn't list which lig of theirs will fit this mouthpiece, though they list other mouthpieces. (Maybe none of them fit it?)

The Bari came with its own metal lig which is unusual in shape. I've looked online for any pic that would show me which side up it should go, and have tried it both ways, with the screws on the back and with them on the front. It has two bands on one side that narrow down to one screw. It appears to fit best visually with the double band over the reed and the screw on the back, but I'm not getting as good a response out of the mouthpiece with this lig as what I get wrapping it with twine. I'm getting great results from twine wrapping, but it's a hassle. Does anyone know what Rovner fits the Bari Gold soprano mpc, or if there's another lig similar that will fit? I saw someone posting on the Vandoren Klassic String lig, but don't know if it's what I'm looking for, even fit-wise, or not.

Or perhaps someone has advice on better using my metal ligature?

(I play an Antigua Winds XP soprano.)

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I used to play a Bari Gold soprano piece...I used either a FL Ultimate lig or an Eddie Daniels Rovner. I think the FL was my favorite....I don't use it any more and would sell/trade it if you're interested.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,509 Posts
Instead of the hassles of wrapping twine, try rubber O-rings from a hardware store.

I have a small Rovner EDII ligature that fits my metal Link soprano mouthpieces. I think Rovner changed their model name from Eddie Daniels II to Versa. I don't know if they still offer a small style, though. If they do, it should fit your metal mouthpiece. DAVE

·
Registered
110 Posts
Send Rovner an email with your question. If you can, include the exact diameter of the mouthpiece at the widest point. I have received prompt, accurate answers to this type of question from them. There is a contact form on their website.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, all. I actually tried the O-ring suggestion, and HEY, it works! In fact, it's better than twine, but the only drawback is that I can't loosen it like a Rovner after the reed gets soaked and expands. But I love the tone results. It's good to know Rovner will respond. I'll also email them. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry this reply is so late, but I just noticed this thread today. FWIW ... You may want to try a Rovner Light. I have one and it fits nicely on my Bari Gold soprano mpc.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to play a Bari Gold soprano piece...I used either a FL Ultimate lig or an Eddie Daniels Rovner. I think the FL was my favorite....I don't use it any more and would sell/trade it if you're interested.
Do you still have your FL Ultimate soprano sax lig, and are you interested in selling it? The lig I was using on my Bari Gold mpc broke today, and I remembered this post and thought I'd check.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just checking again to see if you have the FL Ultimate for sale. I tried messaging this morning, but I can't see that it actually went through...hence this post. Thanks!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Selmer works on mine. I did add some layers of 3M clear tape to add some thickness to the mpc.
Thanks. I have already ordered a new Francois Louis, but your comment may help some other reader in the future!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The size I bought is a small for soprano sax to fit the Bari Gold mpc. I had to look awhile to find someone who had the small size. Saxquest did. They got it shipped to me in good time! I don't think I notice any difference in response over the Bari Gold lig, but the Francois Louis tone seems richer than the Bari lig tone on the recording I did to test it. Later, the Bari gold people got back with me to say that to get a replacement Bari lig from them would have been 8 dollars (plus shipping, I suppose). The Francios Louis is not as quick to slap on as some other ligs, but I'm sure I'll get faster at it when I've owned it awhile. So far, I like it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts