Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying two 7 and two 6* NVS this week.
I recently read a review that mentioned lig placement on these mpcs but can't find it.

Just looking for suggestions on lig placement for these specific mpcs.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,907 Posts
I would say with the front of the lig in the middle (ish) of the chain link engraving band. (I'm basing that on a vintage slant)

As long as it's just back a biy from the window you should be fine, but if in doubt try it and see how it works.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I like to place mine just behind the chain band, maybe 1/16th to 1/8th inch. That is where I have found it to work the best with La Voz Mediums.

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Pete.

Lig position seems obvious, but I recall someone stating the NVS didn't impress them at first but after returning to it and adjusting the lig a little further "backwards" or "forwards" the mpc became a much better player for them.

I've found a reed that plays easily for me one day, can play horribly the next. So, I'm still fiddling with lig position relative to references like file marks on double cut reeds. The different distance from shoulder to tip on reeds from different manufacturers like Rico, Vandoren, Alexander, etc and the corresponding relationship between mpc window and reed shoulder makes subtle lig position changes necessary it seems.

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Noj.

Knowing the position could vary considerably based upon reed brand, etc, I suppose you could refer to the placement as a general sweet spot of sorts for this particular production mpc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts