Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
As said in my signature, I play on an Ottolink 6, but I want a better ligature. Mine is a stock one. I was wondering what kind there are, and the difference between different ones. My budget is for a cheap one no more than $15-20.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
Well, a cheap alternative is the Selmer metal lig that comes with it's metal mouthpieces- I think it's the 404 model. A little over $20.00 through WoodwindBrasswind Co. I use this and it works great. I personally don't mind the original Link ligature, myself. But the Selmer is easier to use and seems to free up the sound a bit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
A lot of people use the Selmer 404, but it's about $30; this lig is silver-plated brass. Also, Rovner has several models that fit, most of them around $20.........daryl

·
Registered
640 Posts
i've always had problems w/rovners not being able to seal the reed to the mpc correctly. i'm for the selmer 404 if you're on a tighter budget. by the way ... are you playing a metal otto link, or a hard rubber otto link? that would certainly let us know exactly what kind of ligature to buy. if you are using a hard rubber otto link, i suggest something like a bonade ligature. that shouldn't run you more than $15 for a hard rubber bonade ligature.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
I'm toying with the idea of the new Rico H Harrison type rather than the selmer. They are about the same price. I really dont think the lig makes that much difference though. Sometimes the link lig is a pain as the reed sometimes want to twist as you tighten it that all.

I can tell the difference between a metal lig and a rovner type one though. I think the danger with a rovner for me at least is I can tighten them so much it strangles all life out of the reed...its hard to judge just how tight you have them.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Personally, I'm perfectly happy with my stock metal ligature that came with the C*.

A ligature, honestly, isn't going to change your sound much. And if I ever do buy one, I'd go for the Vandoren Optimum.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'm glad I can just buy whatever I want and don't worry about price. I have an olegature and a rovner. Because I play on a jody jazz dv now and it is a bright mouthpiece I have found that I like to play the Rovner that came with it. I have an optimum for my Alto that I really like alot. I would have tried an Optimum on my Jody Jazz but I didn't like that fit.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
sod9728 said:
Personally, I'm perfectly happy with my stock metal ligature that came with the C*.

A ligature, honestly, isn't going to change your sound much. And if I ever do buy one, I'd go for the Vandoren Optimum.

I disagree that a ligature won't change your sound a lot. I find it really does especially if you experiment with different amounts of tightening on the screws. One thing is for sure though only practice will make you better. I wouldn't worry about ligature too much and would advise not to spend much unless you have money to burn on it. The thing about changing your sound is that a change isn't always better or worst. Sometimes what you like this year may not be the sound your going for later on in life or vice versa however you look at it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh yes, I forgot to say that I was playing a hard rubber otto link, and I was considering the rovner ligature.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Like the dark jazzy sound, do you? :)

A Rovner would be a good choice. Your current set-up's pretty bright and edgy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes thank you very much, I picked up my Rovner and am very satisfied!

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can get the inverted Bonade, but since it scratches the top of the MP, you'll have to put a thin patch to stop it from slipping. I'd just get a regular Bonade. Experiment!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
He picked up the rovner earlier today, as posted. Good luck, and enjoy yourself, but don't have too much fun!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
BryanQ. said:
A ligature, honestly, isn't going to change your sound much.
But it can make playing quite a lot more comfortable when it allows the reed better to vibrate the right way. A bad ligature can mess up your playing more than you think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
Nefertiti said:
I have a blind test on my website where you can see if you hear a difference in the ligatures I used. I actually could hear a difference in some of the clips.
found it (check blind poll, part #2). It confirms what I thought already : ligature can make a difference for the attack and the overall playability. Soundwise there is not that much difference. Not more than between two reeds of the same brand and strength to my ears at least.

·
Insert cutesy caption du jour here
673 Posts
Selmer 404 and NY Link

Thanx to who ever it was that suggested I try the Selmer 404 ligature on my NY Otto Link Tenor piece. I was warned about the tight fit. I took an old reed, and clamped it on with the new lig. I worked the lig down the piece a little at a time, so as not to strip the threads on the tighening screws. Additionally, I used a small stick (used to be part of a back scratcher) to tap on the lig around the "top ridge" of the link so the lig would fit nice and snug around the piece. It took some patience, and a couple of evenings in front of the TV, but the Selmer 404 fits like it was made for the NY link, plus, being a silver lig, it stands out from the gold mouth piece. I think the sound is MUCH brighter than the old piece-o-crap link lig and I know the reed will be in the same place every time. It's a beautiful thing!!!! THANX ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts