Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im trying to find a good ligature that is compatible with an metal otto link tone master NY series size 6. I stepped on the ligature that came with it so now I need a new one. I was thinking about a BG relevation. Does anyone have this and know if it will fit or not? Here is the link I found it on: http://www.amazon.com/BG-Revelation...cal-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1285077881&sr=1-8

I know this link says that it is a "link size." but not sure if it will fit my NY link
If anyone has any other ideas on one to buy that is less than $35, that would be much appreciated. I don't want a metal one in case I step on it again.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
if your going to shell out for a lig...the original link ligs are best...has to do with the pressure plate

·
Registered
865 Posts
IMHO:
B&G lig doesn't work well with my STM NY; neither does the Rovner ligs... I think it has something to do with the "groove" on top, as the reed doesn't stay put. I "mod" a regular rings metal sop lig and it worked out great (the lig is for "bigger" HR sop pieces). I think the silver Selmer 402 lig works best for STM pieces - I am using one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree... I've tried a few different kinds including rovener and FL, and I think the lig that came with it works best. Nothing to do with sound, just ease of use. (I'm fairly new at sax, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt...)

·
Registered
11 Posts
The francois Louis Ultimate ligature in size small tenor fits perfectly on the Tone Master and is a very good ligature. My tone Master is slightly bigger in outer diameter than my STM (Florida) and the STM ligature do not fit the way it should on the Tone Master, hence the FL ligature.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
FL is good too

·
Registered
80 Posts
I should clarify that the FL does fit very well, I just find it a bit finicky - doesn't always seem to want to center the plate to the reed. Having said that, I still use it :)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
IMHO:
B&G lig doesn't work well with my STM NY; neither does the Rovner ligs... I think it has something to do with the "groove" on top, as the reed doesn't stay put. I "mod" a regular rings metal sop lig and it worked out great (the lig is for "bigger" HR sop pieces). I think the silver Selmer 402 lig works best for STM pieces - I am using one.
I believe the Selmer 404 is the lig that fits STMs. The 402 is smaller.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The Olegature lig worked great with my metal STM. I can't tell you which model to use, since I modified the one I had to fit. It works well, including easy to adjust, and stays put.... plus I like the sound. The problem is, unless you get the 35.00 blowout special at www.saxquest.com and do the mod, it will be way too expensive. The #2 is too large as is. I've modified three #2 Olegatures already, but it's not for anyone not handy in the shop.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you wanna get a good and cheap ligature, get a Rovner... They are real good and they are compatible with metal pieces. :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have a Olegature 2G alto lig which works on my STM (not NY) but I found it too "floppy" for me to really want to deal with it. I'd be willing to work a deal with you on that. I went to an alto Vandoren V16 lig which also works well and seems to accomodate the top rail just fine. I found the original (late model) STM lig just too incapable of holding the reed still.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Weiner Music sells Link ligatures for $14... Seems to me that's the right one for the mouthpiece.

The current model ones are not as nice as old ones, you might have to tweak it a bit with pliers and/or work on the way the plate is held on to the screw, but once done is fine. I also recommend lining the plate with some old pad leather or something like that to reduce dents in the reed bark.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts