Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a great Focustone Acoustimer (tenor, obviously) from Ted Klum. Ted and Sebastian were most helpful and generous to deal with.

If you also own one of these,(Focustone or Resotone) I'm curious to know what ligature you have found that works. All my standard HR tenor ligs (Selmer, generic, Bonade) are too large.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I had the same problem as well with my Reso Tone - all of my ligs that fit my rubber Link were too large. I ended up getting an Ishimori lig at Roberto's that fit it, but I remember that I tried a bunch before I found one that fit really well. I also have one of those Selmer Magnitone ligs (like the one Lovano uses), and that fits without any problems. Ted did offer to alter one of my Selmer ligs to fit it, but I never followed through with it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I may look into the Ishimori. I seem to remember now that the Francois Louis ligs come in a "slim tenor" size, too.

BTW, I've checked out your site and your music before. You sound GREAT.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
I made a Selmer two screw fit.

You have to remove the screws on the lig and file or sand the metal on both sides of the band
and make the lig somewhat smaller, to fit the Acoustimer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
Used my F.L. Pure Brass size XL (that I use on my RPC) on the one I tried.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I've also corresponded with Ted and he recommended the Marc Jean ligature right away. I will check those out. In the meantime I am using an old Selmer two-screw lig that I've filed down as saxphil describes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've recently picked up a Focustone Acoustimer and I've been using my Vandoren Optimum ligature which seems to work nicely. I've only been able to compare it with a Selmer 2-screw and the generic lig that came with the piece but I find the Optimum (with wavy line plate) really centers the already focussed tone and adds depth as well. Curious to know if anyone else uses this lig with their Klum piece and if anyone has compared it with the Marc Jean lig which I keep hearing is the business on Acoustimers. If so, how is it better? Keen to hear others thoughts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
I used a Paraschos wooden ligature for my TK (alto).
enjoy the journey of discovery!

·
1,877 Posts
Marc jean is a terrific lig. Biggest difference I ever had with a lig. I use the Resotone w/ Marc jean . My teacher has the acoustimer and also bought a Marc Jean once he tried mine out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Marc jean is a terrific lig. Biggest difference I ever had with a lig. I use the Resotone w/ Marc jean . My teacher has the acoustimer and also bought a Marc Jean once he tried mine out.
Ok, but have you tried your Klum piece with the Vandoren Optimum ligature? If so, how is the Marc Jean better. Thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
The Marc Jean ligature is excellent. I have an Accoustimer and a ResoTone. I find the Marc Jean ligature resonates better than the Ishimori which I find is bit darker although sometimes with a
reed that is too soft and I still want to play it I will use the Ishimori which is also a beautifull ligature.

·
1,877 Posts
Ok, but have you tried your Klum piece with the Vandoren Optimum ligature? If so, how is the Marc Jean better. Thanks
Sorry Jason I have not compared the Vandoren , I have not tried anything other than a FL, Marc jean and 2 screw Selmer and Bonade. The Marc Jean was such a huge improvement I don't have a reason to try anything else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts