Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello my name is berniece. I played the sax for 8 yrs then sold it and just recently bought another one. This one is a 1913 Frank Holton elkhorn and it does not have a ligature. I am looking for a new one but am not sure what will fit. Also would be interested in ne info about the sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Berniece: Welcome to SOTW. It is the outside circumference of the mouthpiece that matters, not the make of the instrument. Tell us what kind of horn it is and the make of the mouthpiece (soprano, tenor, etc.; hard rubber or metal material), then we may be better able to advise you. Also, read through all the ligature threads for more info on different designs. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Yep give the brand and I will send you something that should work. I have a box full! You probably won't want to use the original if it is a Holton. Tell us more of what type of playing you do and what you had before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i am not sure of much with this horn. I just found it on craigslist for $40 and couldn't resist, even if i have to put some money into it. It has been sitting for a while and as i have no ligature or reeds I have not even tried it. it is simply going to be my little project. I am planning on refurbishing as best I can. my pic is the sax. It has made by Frank Holton elkhorn WIS on the front of the bell and the serial number 15085 on the back below the thumbrest. ne info is welcome. Also it is a silver tenor with lots of extra buttons.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
No other replies . . . tells me you still don't know what you have or how to report on it. Understandable if you know nothing about saxophones. From the photo in your avatar (which i couldn't enlarge) it is difficult to tell exactly what kind of saxophone it is - beyond being a Holton. You said it was a tenor. . . are you sure? Could it be a C-mel?

Anyway, I'm thinking finding a ligature should be simple. Go to any music store that carries band instruments and accessories and take your mouthpiece with you. Try a tenor ligature (for a hard rubber mouthpiece). Chances are it will fit. DAVE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts