Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a morgan excalibur MP for my alto, and was wondering what ligatures work with this piece. I have a olegatures for my clarinet and my Vandoren V16 MP..would either of these work?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,321 Posts
I've tried lots of ligatures on my excalibur. My favorite is the FL. The clarinet vandoren optimum fits well on the alto excalibur as well. Just about all my clarinet ligatures fit on the alto excalibur.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Two things are involved in answering your question. First, the simple matter of fitting the lig to your mouthpiece. Second, how the ligature will affect the tonal qualities and response of your mouthpiece and set up.

Most clarinet ligatures should fit an alto Excalibur.

Going a step beyond that, I recommend the Vandoren Klassik string ligature (clarinet size) to bring out all of the natural qualities of the Excalibur...and to, in effect, supercharge it.

I was completely floored when I first tried a Klassik on my Morgan mouthpieces. It gave me a significantly bigger and richer sound as well as increased projection. I've never had such dramatic differences from ANY metal ligature. I've been praising the Klassik every chance I get. Really, it's that impressive.

I'm still trying to figure out WHY a string ligature works like it does in allowing the reed and mouthpiece to produce such a more vibrant sound than a metal lig. It seems to me that this is even more important with a mouthpiece like the Excalibur with its thin chamber walls. The Excalibur was designed by Ralph Morgan, with its thin walls, to vibrate and produce a whole range of overtones. I cannot help but think a Klassik/Excalibur set up will be totally amazing.

I purchased my Klassik ligs at 1stopclarinet.com. WWandBW also has the clarinet version.

Good luck!

PS, I got out my Excalibur (6EL) tenor mouthpiece just now and tried it with a Klassik. Man, it tears down the house. I cannot believe how LOUD it is. In the past I used various metal ligs -- like FL, Masters, and others -- on the EL. I honestly do not remember my EL having this much power. The Klassik is one reason why I'm able to get such a big sound from my 6C mouthpiece.

Roger

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everybody
i have the same question.. i have one morgan excalibur E7 for alto and im searching for a ligature that should fit on it because this mouthpiece is much thinner than all plastic mouthpieces for alto.. its true that clarinet ligatures fit perfectly, my question is if this one will fit as well?? http://www.thomann.de/gr/francois_louis_ultimate_altsax_versilbert_s.htm its for metal mouthpieces and i believe it should fit cause all metal ones are also very thin..
what do you say? i want to buy it from thomann so i dont have the chance to try it

·
Registered
692 Posts
I use a Vandoren Optimum clarinet ligature on my 6E: that fits well as Sinkdrain already mentioned. There's a BG Super Revelation clarinet ligature in my drawer that also works fine, so if anyone here needs a lig for his Excalibur alto piece (or clarinet of course) just let me know

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I used a no-name clarinet ligature with my Excalibur. It fit and held the reed firmly in place.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Does anyone know if the Francois Louis log for alto fits the Excalibur 6E for alto?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
The FL lig for alto will not fit an Excalibur. You need to use the one which fits a clarinet mouthpiece.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The FL lig for alto will not fit an Excalibur. You need to use the one which fits a clarinet mouthpiece.
thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
Really? Not even the small size for metal pieces?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts