Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for suggestions for ligature to fit Jody Jazz DV or DVNY baritone pieces.
Not the rovner type thanks.
Been using the ring ligature supplied with the piece, but it’s not suitable for all reed types.
Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
I know you said no Rovners, and I get you; not at all a fan of the thick padded rubbery ones myself.

However, the Rovner Versa (V-3ML size) is actually really good with DV, DVNY, steel Bergs, and similar bari pieces.

It’s well made out of some sort of canvas fabric (not the faux leather stuff) and has this metal ridge thing that holds the reed (not a fat rubber pad). Holds the reed securely, easy to adjust, and feels responsive and flexible, especially to my imagination.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have the Bass DV, which has the same dimensions with exception of the lenght of the shank (which is nice for Conn baris)

Mine came originally with a Harrison (copy?) metal lig that I didn‘t like.
Alternatively you can use Marc Jean ligs for metal Links, Winslow/Saxxas for tenor or Rovner Versa (sorry, don‘t know the number of it).

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I want to say I tried a bari DV with a tenor optimum V16 lig. I think the DV and DVNY have the same body.
This is what I use as well on my JJDV bari pieces. It works but, for me, it operates at the end of it's range. Sometimes it's difficult to get it tight enough on reeds made with thin blanks or ones that have thin heals like Rico Orange box. I've been thinking about gluing something to one of the plates to add a bit of thickness but haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the Bass DV, which has the same dimensions with exception of the lenght of the shank (which is nice for Conn baris)

Mine came originally with a Harrison (copy?) metal lig that I didn‘t like.
Alternatively you can use Marc Jean ligs for metal Links, Winslow/Saxxas for tenor or Rovner Versa (sorry, don‘t know the number of it).

View attachment 102961
Great.
I have both a Saxxas and older Marc Jean ligs for metal links, so will try those too.
Although I’m secretly hoping the Optimum will work as I use the Alto optimum on my Link STM baritone pieces and like their simplicity.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
At one time I used to use a Rico H lig on my DNVY tenor, and it worked pretty well. After I returned the mpc and got a replacement (long story), it came with a rovner star series lig, which I started using reverse fashion, with the bars on the reed, and found it works very well for me. I have never tried the Versa.

I first had used the “power ring” lig that came with my original DVNY but never liked it much, for a number of reasons. The Rico H was much better.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I know you said no Rovners, and I get you; not at all a fan of the thick padded rubbery ones myself.

However, the Rovner Versa (V-3ML size) is actually really good with DV, DVNY, steel Bergs, and similar bari pieces.

It’s well made out of some sort of canvas fabric (not the faux leather stuff) and has this metal ridge thing that holds the reed (not a fat rubber pad). Holds the reed securely, easy to adjust, and feels responsive and flexible, especially to my imagination.
+1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts