Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

recently i started playing on my old tenor early babbitt Hr link again(coming from a guardala mb11)
What ligature and reeds are you guys using on your hr link?
i also like to know if anyone has experience with combo HR link/ king silversonic sax?

Greetz Marcus

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Hi Marcus,

the stock 2 screw ligature is fine on HR Links and that's what I use. If you want a little more high overtones you may want to try a Francois Louis. Lots of players use it around it.

Depending on the length of the facing you'd have to use different cuts of reeds; french filed for a short facing and unfiled for a longer facing but really there's no "rule". I've had more luck with Ricos on HR Links but I like Rico better than Vandoren in general. On my 7* I sometimes play Rico Royals 3 (free blowing, resonant and medium bright), Rico Royals 3 1/2 (more resistant meatier tone), Rico Jazz Selects 3S filed and unfiled (same as RR3 but a little brighter) and Gonzalez 2 1/4 (like RR3 but a little darker).

I think the biggest thing you need to be concerned about is how you'll have to adapt to the different mouthpiece geometry. It will probably require you blow completely different to make it sound good.

Those EB Links can get really loud if you use the right airstream. I can bury high baffle players with my HR Link - although it requires A LOT of air pressure - while still maintaining a big fat tone.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Marcus,

the stock 2 screw ligature is fine on HR Links and that's what I use. If you want a little more high overtones you may want to try a Francois Louis. Lots of players use it around it.

Depending on the length of the facing you'd have to use different cuts of reeds; french filed for a short facing and unfiled for a longer facing but really there's no "rule". I've had more luck with Ricos on HR Links but I like Rico better than Vandoren in general. On my 7* I sometimes play Rico Royals 3 (free blowing, resonant and medium bright), Rico Royals 3 1/2 (more resistant meatier tone), Rico Jazz Selects 3S filed and unfiled (same as RR3 but a little brighter) and Gonzalez 2 1/4 (like RR3 but a little darker).

I think the biggest thing you need to be concerned about is how you'll have to adapt to the different mouthpiece geometry. It will probably require you blow completely different to make it sound good.

Those EB Links can get really loud if you use the right airstream. I can bury high baffle players with my HR Link - although it requires A LOT of air pressure - while still maintaining a big fat tone.
TX magical ,

i play now benz reeds supreme power , they really work well on the link (on the guardala i played lavoz). i use the 2 screw it also it works good , but i still would like to try the optimum vandoren.
The guardala and the link are coming from different planets..but both very good planets!! just different.and yes the airstream has to be totally different. Also thinking of a good back up for this piece . maybe the tenor madness HR remake . if its as good as this one i will buy it..
Greetz Marcus

1 - 3 of 3 Posts